Centerstand technique explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Nick,

My name is Damien. I live in silver spring 3 blocks from the Discovery building. Yeah, a lot of my friends are weekend riders that run if they see a cloud in the sky. It's sad.

If we could get together and you show me around this bike I would greatly appreciate it. Please email me at Detman102@yahoo.com and let me know if and when you would be available for me to come out there or meet up here or meet up somewhere. I don't know anything about this bike and if I keep getting outbid on ebay I'll never have a manual.

Thank you,
    Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah, a lot of my friends are weekend riders that run if they see a cloud in the sky. It's sad.

Betcha they're Harley riders!

I'll e-mail you directly, Damien. Welcome to this forum.

Nick

Comment

one trick that helps me is, removing the center stand and lubing realy good every spring and fall. riding in the rain makes sand get into the shaft. cleaning and inspecting it every 6 months lets me know if i am getting ware on the shaft or the stand is getting egg shaped and needs fixed.

next trick is getting the fools that rush over to help me put it on the stand to get back.

Comment

I never realized that people would have an issue with this. That's most likely because my GS flips up onto it's center almost by itself. My 118 pound wife could do it for sure. Almost all the guys I ride with have cruisers and I am the only one with a center stand so I haven't really given any thought to any one else ever doing it or having trouble with it. I always assumed it just worked. My 82 Yamaha, my 78 GS1000 and my 82 Kawi 550 all just pop right up onto the stand. I admit I am 6'4" @ 255 pounds but I don't really think it matters with my bikes, it may help but I don't believe it is needed.

I have always just held the left grip with my left hand, put my right hand under the rear fender and then just gently stand up onto the center stand foot peg and she just rollls right up onto the stand. If you are lighter I would imagine that a little more pulling may be needed as you stand up onto it and also stepping your weight up onto the stand in a rearward motion towards the back of the bike should help to get it rolling on up.

I can tell you that once you get it you will find it quite easy unless your bike isn't setup as some of the other guys here have mentioned. I've never run into this, it just pops up.

I put mine up on the stand a lot too. often times during rides where we are parking in a lot that is tight and we need to fit two or more bikes in a spot. I'll pull in first and go up on the stand. That leaves a lot of space for the hogs to pull in then and lean over. lol...

Comment

The centre stand is a lever , levers work with weight. Height and strength shouldn't be a hassle in putting the bike on the stand. it's all in the technique.
            The right arm can assist if all the other techniques are a tad harder. Lift up and back with your arm to assist the foot. The best way I've found to describe the way you use your foot, is to pretend your walking up stairs , push down with your foot . Also try to get your left leg more in line with your right . if your feet are apart then the weight won't distribute onto the right leg enough thus making it harder.A lever needs weight!!
            Another clue is "where you look is where you go!" so look to the rear of the bike when doing the stand , it helps a heap!

Hope this helps

cheers Michael

Comment

Working...
            X