Headlight switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight switch

My GS model turns on the lights when you turn on the ignition switch. OK most of the time, but if your charging system fails, the last thing you want sucking up current is the headlight.

I drilled a hole in the headlight housing and slipped in a simple toggle switch. I used an 0-ring to seal it and hooked it to the high-beam wire. So now the headlight still comes on with the ignition, but if I really need to turn it off, I just switch to high beam and flip the toggle.

Interesting. My bike has an on-off switch for the headlight. They must have changed that at some point.

Comment

thanks for sharing, its a pretty neat idea... I may have to steal it for my own bike

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Don View Post
        Interesting. My bike has an on-off switch for the headlight. They must have changed that at some point.
        By 1980, US bikes were required to have full time running headlights. Just like the OP, it would be easy to wire it in, and if one were to use a left switch from a pre 80 GS, it could look really stock...

Comment

Since I've never posted a pic before, I thought I would use the overwhelming interest in my HL switch as an excuse to try it. Here it is:

Comment

my 81 650L has the option of turning on or off the headlight so either it is an option per model, my bike is not a U.S. version. or that on/off light changed latter. The speedo is in MPH so i'm thinking it is a U.S. model???
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

No idea. Maybe the bike was manufactured in 1980 prior to the law and labeled a 1981.

Comment

My '81 750E had a tab molded into the switch thumb piece to keep you from turning the lights off so I just bought the plastic thumb piece from an earlier model and swapped out the oem part, cheap easy fix.
                '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
                '03 DR650
                sigpic

Comment

My '80 850 (dated Nov '79 on head tube) has the lights always on, never had the off option.

Comment

My Canadian 1978 model has a permanently on headlight.

Comment

Originally posted by 7th day View Post
                      My '81 750E had a tab molded into the switch thumb piece to keep you from turning the lights off so I just bought the plastic thumb piece from an earlier model and swapped out the oem part, cheap easy fix.
                      I have an 81 GS750EX as well with a thumb switch control of the lights; no idea if it came that way of was swapped as you describe.

Comment

Mr. Matchless wrote an article hosted by BikeCliff that describes the use of relays to automatically switch off the headlight while starting. Additionally, there is a description of using a relay to open a direct path to the starter coils.

Starter Coil Relay Mod
                        Other Relay Mods

Comment

Originally posted by BeerMonger View Post
                          Mr. Matchless wrote an article hosted by BikeCliff that describes the use of relays to automatically switch off the headlight while starting. Additionally, there is a description of using a relay to open a direct path to the starter coils.

Starter Coil Relay Mod
                          Other Relay Mods
                          I guess I don't really see the point in that. If the battery and charging system are fully functional, a GS should start up just fine with the headlight on. Mine always has. If the battery has drained for some reason, I can manually turn off my headlight before engaging the starter and leave if off.

Comment

My '79 250 had a HL switch that was molded to block moving to the "on" position. I was able to carve the plastic and restore the switch function while keeping it stock.

Before I found this site and learned how to rebuild the stator, it let me ride the bike for many years. (but not at night)
                            Mark Fisher
                            sigpic
                            ..............................27 years

Comment

Working...
                            X