Fuel line trick- fuel filter safety problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel line trick- fuel filter safety problem

Today I installed a new rubber fuel line on my 78 gs1000c. It has a pivoting fuel pipe at the bottom of the carbs (which feeds all four) to which the rubber hose attaches. It is tight in there, especially with big hands, and the nipple likes to roll out of alignment making it tricky.

Here is how I improvised a tool to push the rubber line onto the fuel nipple:

Take a phiilips screwdriver with a shaft size which will allow it to fit inside the fuel line. A length that leaves an inch of hose unsupported is about right. You can adjust the depth and pressure by threading sockets on the screwdriver before it goes through the hose. The hose will compress a bit as you push on it.

You want it firmly supported, with enough empty end to fit the nipple.

You now have a rigid piece of fuel line, with an unsupported one inch end opposite the screwdriver handle. Take this, and from the top, push it down onto the fuel nipple. There are two or three "holes" usable from the top of the frame which will work. The fuel pipe will try to pivot-from the side, under the carbs, support it with another screwdriver so it won't move. The improvised tool gives you the extra hand.Leaving the fuel line a bit long will allow you to grab and twist it until it seats.

When it is on firmly, withdraw the screwdriver and drop a hose clamp down the fuel line, to clamp it to the nipple. Thread the fuel line under the frame, and lead it toward the petcock. Cut the line the appropriate length to make an unkinked graceful bend to the petcock.

This repair was made necessary because the plastic inline fuel filter I had fitted failed while I was riding. One of the little pipes broke. I hate the sudden smell of gas!

I will either not use an inline filter again-the petcock has one after all- or
    I will only use steel bodied filters that are unlikely to fail. Simpler is better. This is a significant safety issue.

never never never!!!!!!!!!!! go without an inline fuel filter! lol cause the petcock filter is good but not enough to get everything all it takes is a little something to make it past the petcock filter and your screwed especially if it gets into the carb or a buildup of many little somethings!

Comment

Originally posted by elevatorman71 View Post
      never never never!!!!!!!!!!! go without an inline fuel filter! lol cause the petcock filter is good but not enough to get everything all it takes is a little something to make it past the petcock filter and your screwed especially if it gets into the carb or a buildup of many little somethings!
      I don't use fuel filters and I really don't recommend them unless your tank is dirty. My tanks are super clean and my petcocks have a super fine filter on them.

IMHO an inline filter is not necessary and a potential obstruction to the free flow of gas.

If it was super important, the Suzuki Engineers would have designed the bikes with one.

If you tank is clean, leave it off.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
        I don't use fuel filters and I really don't recommend them unless your tank is dirty. My tanks are super clean and my petcocks have a super fine filter on them.

IMHO an inline filter is not necessary and a potential obstruction to the free flow of gas.

If it was super important, the Suzuki Engineers would have designed the bikes with one.

Rick
        really i didnt think it was a good idea to go without it my mistake lol does it make a difference if you go without it? i might just do that then!

Comment

A lot of people believe in them, others don't.
          I've had no gas starvation problems with mine, and I think it depends on how the filter is installed.
          My thinking is either perpendicular to the ground or parallel to it.
          Certainly not at an angle.

Comment

really i didnt think it was a good idea to go without it my mistake lol does it make a difference if you go without it? i might just do that then!
            You really don't need one if your tank is clean. However, if it gives you peace of mind and everything is running right, just leave it on.

Rick

Comment

never never never!!!!!!!!!!! go without an inline fuel filter!
              Hahaha, I say never never never use a fuel filter! That is too funny. Things have caused me nothing but grief. Suzuki didn't put them on as stock and their engineers know better than I.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post

Rick
                Oh, I didn't read Ricks post before I first responded, which I agree with 100%. Ridden many, many years on GS bikes without an accessory filter.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have an in-line installed on all my bikes. Never had an issue with any of them. No leaks, no broken nipples, no fuel starvation.

On the other hand, I have never seen any of them get clogged. I would think that if stuff were passing the petcock filter, then the in-line filter would slowly get dirty. Probably this is a waste of effort on my part.

The tanks on my GS1100's are pretty clean. No rust as far as I can see. Similar on MY GS1000C. The tank on my red hotrod has been creemed by a PO. I guess all of these tanks are in good shape.

Maybe next time I'll just go without one.

Comment

Working...
                  X