Do you run your high beam at night???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you run your high beam at night???

So, my wife asked this question, and I realized I didn't have a good answer for what the "convention" is.

When driving at night, do you bother lowering your light from high beam when other cars are nearby? For a long time now, I have not lowered my high beams for other cars. I don't think it's inconsiderate, my theory is I'd rather be alive than have the other person irritated.

On the old GS's, the light is not that bright and probably bothers nobody. However, on a more modern bike, the light can be much brighter and more focused.

So.......

What are your thoughts?
    High beams 100% of the time (except for fog).
    9.15%
    High beams, but switch down for oncoming cars only.
    64.79%
    High beams are only for less traveled road, not interstate or city.
    26.06%
    Only the low beam works on my bike because I am a cheap GSer.
    0.00%
    Yamaha fz1 2007

If your light is that dim its time to get a new light. Its dangerous to ride at night with dim lights. Its also dangerous and inconsiderate to blind on coming traffic. Please.....dim your light. The stock light on my bike is brighter than all four on my truck.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      If your light is that dim its time to get a new light. Its dangerous to ride at night with dim lights. Its also dangerous and inconsiderate to blind on coming traffic. Please.....dim your light. The stock light on my bike is brighter than all four on my truck.
      +1....the 8" 1100 train light with an Osram Sylverstar throws down some serious light... even with lowered beam (in Canada we enjoy brightly lit highways) the light is bright enough to blind/irritatate drivers ahead, through their mirrors....I wouldn't dream of passing an oncoming car with the brights on, on the rare occasions I do use it.....most streets are lit, so there is no need. If you have a sealed beam, maybe it's time to upgrade and take advantage of some of the developments in lighting technology.

Tony.
      Last edited by Mysuzyq; 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I would say that if your beam is that dim definitly look at upgrading it. There are even some quilty kits out there that will allow you to install a HID headlight on your bike and the nice thing is that they actually draw less current when there running but will draw more when the first turn on.

Me personally the little night riding that I do is usally on well lit city and Highway so I don't use my HIgh a lot. But when I'm one more rural roads I will use the high beam and dim when a car comes the other way.

Comment

I blind the oncoming driver and he runs over me. Good plan.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but boy it hits the mark this time!!
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I voted option number two, but it needs to include coming up behind other vehicles as well.

Definitely get a new bulb in there. Sylverstar makes a lot of light. Then when you do hit the brights, it'll just about scorch the grass. Well, maybe not. Anyhow, I was amazed at the difference.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                For a long time now, I have not lowered my high beams for other cars. I don't think it's inconsiderate, my theory is I'd rather be alive than have the other person irritated.

On the old GS's, the light is not that bright and probably bothers nobody. However, on a more modern bike, the light can be much brighter and more focused.

So.......

What are your thoughts?
                My thoughts on this theory are that you are a rather inconsiderate son of a whatever. (Hey, you asked.)
                Although the light may not be that bright, it is focused straight ahead into oncoming traffic. THAT is what bothers, not the overall intensity.

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                If your light is that dim its time to get a new light. Its dangerous to ride at night with dim lights. Its also dangerous and inconsiderate to blind on coming traffic. Please.....dim your light.
                Originally posted by 49er View Post
                The only other thing I will add is that if you happen to be coming toward ME, I will politely flash my lights, asking you to dim yours.
                If you do not comply, I will simply turn mine on and LEAVE THEM ON.
                Here is what you will see (briefly, just before you go blind) coming at you:

It may not look like much in the picture, but the two H4 headlight bulbs are 60 watts each on high beam, the two driving lights are 100 watts each.
                The two lower lights are only 18 watts each and are more for effect than for lighting up the road.

Oh, there's also a 90 amp alternator powering all that, so there is NO problem keeping everything at 14+ volts.

Most people get the idea rather quickly that I would like for THEM to lower their lights.
                (This avoids tkent's scenario.)

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have seen those lights in person and can vouch for the fact if you look to long you will go blind

Comment

I just LOVE those guys who run the triple beams full on regardless. Yes i DO drive a car. I 'look at life from both sides', and I will leave my high on longer on the bike, so it is noticed that I am switching beams, and in the hopes that I'm being noticed. And at night, RIDE THE CENTER OF YOUR LANE. If you ride the outer or inner you can be mistaken for a pididdle (car with a headlight out) instead of as a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The only other thing I will add is that if you happen to be coming toward ME, I will politely flash my lights, asking you to dim yours.
                      I guess this is what started this for me.... cars DONT flash me when they go by. I definitely used to turn them down, but after a while I stopped because no one seemed to notice.

Maybe they just aren't sure if it just an overly bright light or high beams.

The lights on the 250 are quite bright, and it does an excellent job of spreading it to the areas of interest. The round lights in the old GS's (I've owned 3 now with good charging systems), to me scatter the light in such a way that it's a little difficult to get good function on high and low. High beams are great, but then low beams are too low. If you tilt it too far up, a lot of the high beam just misses the road completely.
                      Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

On my 1150, the high beam (silverstar) will burn your eyeballs out, so I turn it down with oncoming traffic. But I do run my high beams during the day.
                        Last edited by renobruce; 08-16-2009, 10:16 PM.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I run my light all the time. I dim for others if they do the same. Always dim behind someone at night. During the day 100 percent of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                            It also happens to be 'just p1ssed my pants' funny.

Comment

High beams all the time except in fog, snow or heavy downpours, I dim for oncoming traffic and for vehicles ahead of me. I don't like being "blinded by the light", and I don't think other drivers appreciate it either.

Comment

Working...
                              X