77 clutch release rod and seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 clutch release rod and seal

I have a 77 gs750. The clutch release rod is bent. I have the parts and a Clymer manuel but cannot find a good description on how to replace the rod and seal. Can anybody help me out?

Hi there and welcome. You have posted in the wrong area here. You should have posted in the Technical Info area where you would get more responses. This area is for tips and tricks that can help others on the site.

Well here goes:

The pushrod cannot be removed from the side where the clutch cable attaches. You need to pull the primary drive cover on the right hand side of the motor. You will need to drain the oil and remove the kick start lever first though. Remove all the screws holding the cover, remove cover. Remove the six clutch screws that hold the pressure plate in place. Remove the pressure plate and springs, noting the order of removal of the clutch plates. The pushrod is in two parts, a thrust portion with bearing that sits up against the pressure plate and the longer pushrod that extends through the motor. Remove both parts and replace the bent rod with the new one and put it back together.

It would be a good idea to replace the seal while pushrod is out of the motor. Pull the seal out (drill seal and screw in self tapper), pull this out with vice (mole) grips. Then simply replace the seal. Tap the seal in with the appropriate size socket. And you should have no more problems.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X