Seat repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat repair question

I've got an '82 650L with which someone before me had cut a bunch of foam out of the seat. I found a decent seat on Ebay, however my seat pan is in much better shape.

What is the best method for removing and attaching (what kind of glue) foam to seat pans?

I was thinking of sanding the rust off my seat pan, maybe finishing off with some Bondo and a good rust protective paint/primer, then gluing on the 'new' foam.

This is my first bike and first repair/restoration project so any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

The foam is not glued to the seat pan, however it may become stuck to the seatpan due to rust. The seat cover holds the foam in place.

Comment

If your seat pan is solid, then remove the rust, prime and paint. I used electrolysis to remove the rust from my seat pan. Replacement foam can be purchased to rebuild the seat. Usually places that sell new seat covers also have good quality foam available. Here is a good place for covers

Once you get the foam cut to shape, put a layer of thin plastic over the foam and then install the cover. The plastic will keep moisture from soaking into the foam and getting to your seat pan. If you are lucky you may be able to find a used seat. It's usually cheaper to buy a cover and recover what you have.

Comment

You could also visit an automotive upholsterer and ask what they can do for you, if they put something on your current seat pan.

Many will make and install new covers for you; some will provide new foam, and some will bring a new custom seat into existence to suit you..

Cost will vary widely, depending on what you ask of them.
        "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
        X