Tank cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank cleaning

I just used RustBeeter, spelled like beet. I works. took about a week, but all the rust is gone. This product doesn't remove metal like acid, and I don't know how it works. It's essentially molasses in a dry form, you mix it with hot water and pour it in and top up the tank. Amazing!

How'd you find out about it?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Did you leave the petcock and sending unit inside the tank ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        How'd you find out about it?
        There was a vendor at Vintage Bike Days, and I bought the tank size box for $20

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          Did you leave the petcock and sending unit inside the tank ?
          Ya, just leave it all in there. You have to clean the tank with some kind of degreaser first. And let some of the degreaser flow through the petcock, so there is no trace of fuel.

Comment

You said it took about a week, did you just leave sit or did you re-apply it?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              You said it took about a week, did you just leave sit or did you re-apply it?
              I just left it sit. You can drain it out and have a look, and if it's not done you can put it back in. There is a lot of material left in the tank unless you rinse it, but you can basically see if it's done its job. If satisfied with results, flush out the remaining material. Then dry it, prep it and coat it. I'm going to use POR-15, so my next step is their Metal Ready and then Tank Sealer. And the stuff you dump out you can use to soak other things in. But it won't keep for too long.

Comment

That Metal Ready stuff is basically phosphoric acid. If you leave it in the tank for a while the metal surface develops a chalky residue. I suggest you add some aquarium rocks to the rinse solution and shake the crap out of the tank to scrub the chalk off prior to applying the sealer.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  That Metal Ready stuff is basically phosphoric acid. If you leave it in the tank for a while the metal surface develops a chalky residue. I suggest you add some aquarium rocks to the rinse solution and shake the crap out of the tank to scrub the chalk off prior to applying the sealer.
                  Cool thanks for the heads up!

Comment

One word...

Rusteco! This stuff works great, non-toxic, you can use it more than once (just strain it out), when its used up you can pour it on your garden... Used it, love it, three days, tank is clean... No liner is needed after use...

Comment

I have rustbeeter in my tank right now, it has been there 24 hours. Going totake a look later in the week for results..

Comment

Bad kreeme!

I started to take a closer look at my two projects, this is going to take much more than I thought.. The 83 has had a lot of hands on it (as most mechs know, this is BAD), not only that but somebody tried a Kreeme job without getting the rust out first! Ugh, this is going to take some serious work now...

The 82 is in better shape, tank has serious rust, no soft spots though, and NO Kreeme...

Comment

Working...
                        X