Concrete Floor Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete Floor Cleaner

While sifting through Basscliff's very excellent resource site today, I noted on one procedure which resulted in some spillage of hydrocarbons (oil) on his garage floor.....we all experience this.

I noted that he was going to use simple green to do the cleanup (great stuff). However, I use cement powder (or a simple bagged sand grout) as a cleanup trick. Spread enough on the spill to show no more absorption showing through, and leave it for a couple of hours. Then broom it back and forth a few times to mix and pick up residual oil, scoop it up, and dispose of it in a suitable manner (on a gravelly part of the driveway, for instance....sshhhh, don't tell the EPA).

Some years ago, my brother-in-law had an old Taurus that marked territory quite enthusiastically (3 litres over night on my concrete drive). Grout mix took care of the spill, and you'd never know that the Exon Valdez had been in my driveway to this day.

They're called 'character marks' and should be left there. Think of them as garage / driveway tattoos.

Comment

Originally posted by Runningdog View Post
      While sifting through Basscliff's very excellent resource site today, I noted on one procedure which resulted in some spillage of hydrocarbons (oil) on his garage floor.....we all experience this.

I noted that he was going to use simple green to do the cleanup (great stuff). However, I use cement powder (or a simple bagged sand grout) as a cleanup trick. Spread enough on the spill to show no more absorption showing through, and leave it for a couple of hours. Then broom it back and forth a few times to mix and pick up residual oil, scoop it up, and dispose of it in a suitable manner (on a gravelly part of the driveway, for instance....sshhhh, don't tell the EPA).

Some years ago, my brother-in-law had an old Taurus that marked territory quite enthusiastically (3 litres over night on my concrete drive). Grout mix took care of the spill, and you'd never know that the Exon Valdez had been in my driveway to this day.
      A good quality epoxy paint and anything including oil will just wipe up with a cloth.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I've had pretty good results with el cheapo kitty litter.

Comment

"They're called 'character marks' and should be left there. Think of them as garage / driveway tattoos."

Must be a generational thing....folks of my vintage, in mainstream life, don't get tattoos...............

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
            I've had pretty good results with el cheapo kitty litter.
            +1. But it has to be the cheap stuff--store brand, bottom shelf, big bag, cheap. The higher cost stuff is of a different texture and does not work nearly as well. I have a neighbor who was a wrench in the Navy; his facility was a big kitty litter user.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

'Kitty litter' is what chemical / oil spill kits are made of. It's made from diatomaceous earth (algae fossil) that is very absorbent.

Comment

We've all been using cheap kitty litter forever, it gets up the oil but not really the stain. I wonder if the concrete cement or sand grout that this thread started with might work better?
                Maybe it works really good...
                Worth a try.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I use cheap kitty litter and oil dry, on the stain I use something mostly my boots and smash it down and work it around and no sign of oil spill at all,but I cant do anything without making a mess
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2009, 05:58 AM.

Comment

If you use something to 're-activate' the remaining part of the stain (like turps, petrol, kero etc) you'll get most of it out with a 2nd attempt.

Comment

Working...
                    X