Need wiring help, bad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need wiring help, bad!

I'm not going to try to play like I know what I am talking about. I am some what knowledgeable on how to take small things apart and put them back together but nothing big and NOTHING electrical. Sad to say, I don't even know what 70% of the stuff on the bike is called. I am trying to re-do the wiring on my 78 GS1000 so I have as little wires as possible. All I have is a headlight, a tail light, a horn and an electric start. No turn signals or stock gauges and I have a Harley tank so no Suzuki Petcok. I think that takes care of the wiring that isn't needed to make the bike run. I have a manual for the bike but don't understand wiring diagrams.

I want to relocate this stuff because I'm cutting off that part of the frame. Not knowing what it is called I posted the pic.

Any help or ideas will work. I would like to do it myself and not have to take it in to a shop.

Hi,
    I am sure the guys will help you, but you should really post your request in the technical section so that they will see it.

Comment

OK top of picture left to right..

Aluminum box with horizontal fins is the voltage regulator
      black box on right is the fuse box
      Bottom left is the starter solenoid
      Bottom right aluminum box w vertical fins is the rectifier.

You could clean up a bit by replacing the regulator and rectifier with a single integrated R/R from Rick's

Comment

I would suggest a few hours spent in a library reading about basic electricity, and then automotive wiring. Batteries and switches, amps and volts, how to make good connections, that type of thing.

It is SO much easier to understand a bike's wiring with a little education.

It really is not complicated stuff, at least not at the level needed to wire a motorcycle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

With the exception of the fuse box, you cannot do away with any of that stuff. As previously stated, you can combine the two finned boxes into one.

Getting rid of the turn signals and horn won't touch any of that stuff, except for fuses.

A wiring diagram is really easy to understand if you give yourself the time.

Even if you do away with all the switches on the handlebars and move the starter button and ignition to under the seat, you will need a regulator, rectifier, and a starter solenoid. You could switch to in-line fuses.

The regulator and rectifier have fins to shed the heat they make when working. Think of the need to shed heat when you consider where you want to move them to.

What are you making?
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

It must be me, but I have seen several posts recently from noobs who want to "modify" their bikes or "rewire" their bikes but know nothing about working on bikes. LEARN how to do basic maintenance and understand how the bike works before trying to modify anything. I can start from a bare frame and assemble a bike, but I am not a fabricator nor would I attempt to structurally modify a bike. I am all for learning to do things yourself but you must get some basic knowledge first.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              It must be me, but I have seen several posts recently from noobs who want to "modify" their bikes or "rewire" their bikes but know nothing about working on bikes. LEARN how to do basic maintenance and understand how the bike works before trying to modify anything. I can start from a bare frame and assemble a bike, but I am not a fabricator nor would I attempt to structurally modify a bike. I am all for learning to do things yourself but you must get some basic knowledge first.
              haha, i'm guessing you ran across my thread also

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                Or mine quite possibly.....

Comment

or mine too, but mine is a have to because of the P.O. butched it after the fire.

Comment

Working...
                  X