Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltmeter

I put this together this evening. I like to know what the charging
    system is doing. It makes me feel better.
    Size is approximately, 2.78" x1.78" x1" . I purchased the box & switch
    at Radio Shack, the voltmeter I got here
    http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/4231 .
    I thought of using a relay but I kind of like the looks
    of the switch. Even if I leave it on ( only draws about 30 milliamps) it
    won't kill the battery. I have one of these on all 3 bikes. Saved me from
    cooking a battery, and maybe worse, when the meter on the Blackbird
    went to 17+ volts at 3000rpm.

That looks very cool. Can you post a pic of it mounted on a bike?
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

There are various vendors for this and has been posted here at GSR before. It really is hard to build a device from parts and do it cheaper if something exists commercially to do the same thing.

a review

EDIT: reading the reviews I see that the main benefit of the Radio Shack meter is that it is water proof and accurate which are questionable about the Show chrome device..
      Last edited by posplayr; 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure I wanna do this, but I wonder if the mu8lti function device could be waterproofed with epoxy or RTV without having to cut a shower curtain?

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
          That looks very cool. Can you post a pic of it mounted on a bike?
          Unfortunately my 850G is in pieces right now. I was thinking of
          mounting it on top of the tach/speedo, with some velcro. I put
          a plug inline so its easily removed.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I'm not sure I wanna do this, but I wonder if the mu8lti function device could be waterproofed with epoxy or RTV without having to cut a shower curtain?
            pos, the meter I got from Cyclemax is waterproof. It was $28.00 to
            my door. Heck, 2 wires and a plug, a little bit of wire and an inline
            fuse (which you probably have laying around) your good to go. You
            don't necessarily have to put it in a box. I'm just a little retentive.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXXZRX View Post
              pos, the meter I got from Cyclemax is waterproof. .

Check I caught that after I posted. It would still be nice to find a reasonable waterproofing solution to the multifunction device.

how about clear shrink tubing. This is 2:1 stuff

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/heat-shrink2.htm#
              Last edited by posplayr; 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

how about clear shrink tubing. This is 2:1 stuff

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/heat-shrink2.htm#
                Man, that's a brilliant idea. Simple but effective.

If you decide to go that route, let us know how it works out.
                With the history that the GS charging system has, everyone
                who rides one should have something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXXZRX View Post
                  Man, that's a brilliant idea. Simple but effective.

If you decide to go that route, let us know how it works out.
                  With the history that the GS charging system has, everyone
                  who rides one should have something like this.
                  I was thinking of mounting the external temp sensor near my oil cooler as an additional feedback on that. The internal should do well for ambient. The clock would be nice as you can't see your wrist watch easily when AGAT. The Volt meter is an added bonus. All in all there is not too much in the way of frills with the 5 function.

I'm liking the shrink tubing idea more and more. Some clear RTV/epoxy in the ends should seal that. Velcro (included ) in the back should cover mounting. I'm figuring to size the tubing over sized so at the minimum size it is just conforming but not depressing any of the buttons.
                  Might need a pin prick in the bottom to allow air to escape when changes in elevation occur. Could us a little gortex for complete submersible waterproofing , but splash resistance is probably adequate .

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/SHOW-CHROME-DI.../dp/B000I5GMPY

There are various vendors for this and has been posted here at GSR before. It really is hard to build a device from parts and do it cheaper if something exists commercially to do the same thing.

EDIT: reading the reviews I see that the main benefit of the Radio Shack meter is that it is water proof and accurate which are questionable about the Show chrome device..
                    Yes, this is a nice unit. No, it's not waterproof, but can be made rather water-resistant. If it's not accurate, it's adjustable.
                    It is very convenient to see time, temp and volts any time you want.

We have several of those in use around here, on my bikes and my sister's. To enhance the water shedding capabilities, I spray a few layers of clear polyurethane on the face. The only place where water entry is a problem is around the edge of the display, so just seal that crack and it's good to go. Of course, on a bike without a windshield, you might need some better protection, but all of our bikes have 'shields.

There is a trim pot on the back so you can adjust the voltage reading if it is not accurate. With a bit of tweaking, I have found that they are usually within 0.1 volt of my Fluke meter that is calibrated annually to NIST standards.

Yes, see above. Clear polyurethane spray works quite well.

[QUOTE=posplayr;1107631]Might need a pin prick in the bottom to allow air to escape when changes in elevation occur. Could us a little gortex for complete submersible waterproofing , but splash resistance is probably adequate .QUOTE]
                    You will need access to the buttons on the back that allow you to set the time, so there should be no need for further pin pricks.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The wire on these things is so cheap it will chafe and short just looking at it. A piece of wire sleeve is a must. After that its worked well for me. I dont ride in the rain.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

That looks pretty cool, Dave.....appears stock, on the E. I should get one of those.....I bough the Kuryakyn jobbie with the row of L.E.Ds a couple years ago, but never installed it.
                        Tony.
                        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          I should get one of those.....
                          Velcro is your friend
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by derwood
                            A friend of mine just bought a back up camera for 200 $, I haven't seen it yet. but I has a gps and mp3 built in.
                            Please post when you find out what it is. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X