Seal removal for clutch rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seal removal for clutch rod

Any other tips on removing this seal and installing it would be helpful!

First off the bike is a 1985 GS700ES, the issue is the seal that is located near/kinda behind the front sprocket/chhain is leaking. Iv'e seen on here somewhere (tried to find it again) on some fellow GS'ers replacing it.
    The previous owner looks like instead of replacing it he just cut a square piece of 1/16-1/8 rubber and pocked a hole through it. It's leaking pretty good now and I am replacing the chain so I thought I would fix this in the process.
    I have replaced MANY seals before and do have a idea(s) on how to remove it but many more heads are better than one. I have used a metal/wood screw that works pretty well and also a a small tool of some sort that Iv'e made with a lip (small) and use the dent puller method.

I also thought about just putting a couple of O-Rings and maybe another piece of rubber but I want to fix it right. Quick question? If anybody knows the part number that would be great.. If I have the P/N i'm sure I can find a local vendor we use at my work other then the dealer--Parts is Parts...

try out this site they have detailed pics. you should be able to find it and then get the p/n

Comment

Pull the clutch hub.
      Take off the clip on the shifter shaft on the countersprocket side.
      Clean the shaft and slide it out.
      Pull the seal out with a skinny wood screw.
      Grease the outer diameter of the new seal and tap it in with the right size socket.
      Reassemble
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by jive13 View Post
        try out this site they have detailed pics. you should be able to find it and then get the p/n
        http://www.bikebandit.com/1985-suzuk...700esf/o/m6099
        DON"T go to bikebandit if you want a part #...
        www.AlphaSports.com item 24 under clutch 09285-06018
        Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2009, 04:07 AM.

Comment

I did mine on the 550 recently without pulling the clutch hub.

Since I'm chain drive it's a little more involved because the cover plate
          on the seal also covers the drive shaft.

I had to remove the front sprocket to allow removal of the cover plate.

But once all that was done and I had everything cleaned up I did the
          following.

I drilled a small hole (like 1/16) to the right of the pushrod into the seal.
          Not too deep but just enough to allow me to insert a drywall screw.
          I then pulled on the screw and the seal popped right out.

On my bike the seal was originally installed from inside the case so the
          casting around the seal was sharp and if you try and press in the new
          seal it will cut it apart. The solution is to bevel the edge a little around
          the opening. Any piece of steel with a corner on it will work. I just use
          the edge of a flat screw driver to scrape away to corner. Try to keep
          the aluminum flakes from falling in.

Once the hole is beveled I applied some of the black gasket sealer around
          the new seal and gently pressed it in. It doesn't need to go all the way
          back - it should be flush with the case. Don't hammer it in with anything.

I like to let the permatex set overnight before I pump oil through it.

Once I removed the seal I was a bit concerned that the pushrod had some
          pitting on it where it entered the seal. I though perhaps it would still
          leak but I wasn't in the mood to replace the pushrod and thankfully there
          are no leaks so far.
          Last edited by DimitriT; 11-14-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks people, I was able to remove it pretty easy, a small flat head screwdrive and a little bit of wiggling and it came right out. Replacing the chain at the same time... WAY worn out.. laying it next to the new one you can compress and stretch it almost 2 full links .... Wow I think it was the org DID.

Comment

My 700E seems to be leaking at the gear shifter seal. I'm not sure I can replace that one without taking the whole engine apart. It only leaks a bit here and there so I'm not going to tackle it just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jmanz6 View Post
                My 700E seems to be leaking at the gear shifter seal. I'm not sure I can replace that one without taking the whole engine apart. It only leaks a bit here and there so I'm not going to tackle it just yet.
                Whole engine no
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The seal is real simple to remove once you remove the clutch cover(s) and chain and front sprocket and then the small (three bolts) cover. The seal came out easy for me. Now I just need to wait for the dealer to open today to order one. Funny thing I looked up one on a couple of sites and to order one was 6-8 bucks and then add shipping (one place was $16.00) I think I can make a quick drive over to the local cycle shop...

Comment

My local dealer has an online microfiche system and pretty good prices for parts so I just order the parts online and have them delivered to the dealer. They call me when they are in and I go get them saving shipping. Works great so far. I will look into the seal soon. It only seems to leak when I am warming it up on the sidestand. It doesn't drip overnight and only a couple drops when it's parked at work. Strange - I have to make sure it's not the oil pan gasket too. Now I'm not so afraid of tackling this job.

Comment

Working...
                    X