Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY stock type air filter (1979 box style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY stock type air filter (1979 box style)

made a mistake!
    Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2009, 07:53 PM.

I used a sheet of generic Uni filter foam in the same way. Most dirt bike places have it. Comes at the right thickness. $11 for a sheet that will do 2 or 3 filters...

Wonder how that car wash sponge will stand up to the gas/fumes discharged from the breather pipe over time. I suspect it will start to break down (at which point it'll be sucked into the engine..) not all sponge is the same.

Last edited by salty_monk; 11-25-2009, 12:41 AM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

as i learned the hard way.. can't use this sponge it's just too dense to breathe properly.

Comment

My Skunk is missing the filter holder portion of the airbox. Anyone have one in their stash?

I drilled out most of a polyethylene tube and used one PVC end cap and found another fitting that matches the inlet and tube perfectly.

I then zip tied foam filter media around the tube. Took a little trial and error but with 2 wraps it breathes well enough that the plugs read about right. Oiling the filter makes it run way too rich though.

It's functional but if I can't locate the stock part, I'll go with the round UNI.

Comment

Working...
        X