cold weather riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold weather riding

ok i know how much of a dumb idea its going to be to take my riding test dec 17 in ohio brrrrrr!. can i get some tips on cold weather riding and taking the test?!

I'd say keep the engine warmed up, you don't want to be fiddling with the choke during your test. You also might also want to check your tire pressure and fluids.

Other than that, dress appropriately, relax, and have fun! Remember to keep your head up and eyes forward.

Comment

Originally posted by jonmasaya View Post
      Remember to keep your head up and eyes forward.
      Good tip unless your face shield is all fogged up. Maybe try some anti-fog polish or ask a snomobiler how they do it.

I assume there's no testing if it snows
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I did my riding test (including emergency stop) in the rain here - not very cold, but definitely very wet! I'd suggest practising your stops, if they're part of the test, and paying particular attention to the pressure needed to just not skid the tyres in various conditions.

Other than that, just general awareness of your surroundings I suppose. Be vigilant and attentive, and don't make assumptions about what other road users are doing - this has saved me numerous times from injury/death.

Cheers, hope it goes well - boingk

Comment

Cold air passing over your bare skin is the most effective way to lose heat. Solution? Layers. I only own a mesh riding jacket right now, but I have a down filled nylon liner from a Cabela's jacket I put on underneath, and the waterproof outer shell from the same jacket fits over the whole shooting match. A good set of gloves is a must. Some sort of neck protection helps as well. I usually wear some sort of hooded sweatshirt as well. Long thermal underwear helps out, and (this is ESSENTIAL) big, giant woolly socks will go a long way towards toasty. I look like a giant puffball, even with my smaller frame, but the dent to my pride is worth the warmth. If I go down, the mesh jacket has armor in all the right places, and with the multiple layers, I've got extra abrasion resistance.

If you, at ANY time, start to show any symptoms of hypothermia, IMMEDIATELY abort and find a warm place to thaw out. One of the strange things about hypothermia is that when you've got it, you convince yourself to ignore it.

Comment

When I was a young rider is NY, I remember wrapping aluminum foil over my socks before sliding a plastic bag over each foot before putting on my boots. That positively sealed out any wind and reflected the body heat back in. Like the Quizno's catch phrase.....Mmmmmmm, toasty! LOL
            I'm actually loking forward to trying out the pair of Vetter Hippo Hands on my bike soon. I'll have to have a pictue taken as I'm sure the sight will be good for laughs.
            Willie
            (16 degrees here when I woke up this morning)
            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Ok!

First thing you do is take a little snort of Tequila to relax, then you put on the first layer of clothing. After the first layer, you go to the TV, check the weather channel, have another snort for good measure. Put on your long undies, darn, shirt on backwards will not do... Have another snort.. Put on your heavy socks, shirt, and check that darn weather charnel again, take another snort, awfulll colld out there... Put on your helmet, no, take it back off, take another snort, put your boots on rigght feet... Get you gloves, take a snort, find motorcycle in garage thing, look for key.. Take one more snort, open garage thing, COLD! Close garage thing, take another snort, go inside, undress, take a long snort, pass out, wait for spring, couldn't find the key anyway!

Comment

Just hope whoever is giving you the test is warm and not freezing,and has a scent.... of humor... merry christmas.tequila thing is real good idea.

Comment

careful with the thickness of gloves so you don't lose sensitivity on the friction zone in the figure 8. maybe some latex/rubber gloves under your summer gloves to retain heat.

Comment

Frankly, I'm surprised they even test this time of year. Good luck. You may want to go to a large parking lot somewhere and practice with all your warm gear on.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Testing is over, done with and long gone here in the "frozen 'nort". It's been slick on the roads and in the below zeroes since December arrived. My bike has now been sitting in the garage on the centerstand unridden since before Thanksgiving...

Comment

i took the test and passed it thursday. the bad news is i hit a patch of ice on the way there took out my left mirror and scraped up the left side engine case pretty good i was only going maybe 10 mph and was in traffic luckily all went well and i passed but i came out with a few bruised ribs and my pride!

Comment

Shoulda

You should have used the Tequila....

Comment

i have tequila in an iv drip as we speak!

Comment

i took my test in january of 96 in ny. it was 17deg out. every one asks how i can ride in winter. i ask how they can ride there snowmobile.

Comment

Working...
                              X