Fitting 550 exhaust to 650 motor/head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting 550 exhaust to 650 motor/head

There are various reasons for fitting the 550 exhaust to a 650 head, not least important is when doing the 550 to 650 conversion to gain some extra cubic inches. And you do not want to buy another expensive exhaust system.

THE PROBLEM:

It will be found that the exhaust ports in the 650 head are a fair bit larger than the 550 ports. You will read comments on fitting the 550 exhaust to the 650 head where people say "the 550 exhaust will fit, but it moves about a bit in the ports and you need to try and line it up before tightening the exhaust clamps". Not as easy as it sounds to line up four exhaust header pipes and tighten all the clamps up when using only two hands.

Also if using the standard 650 exhaust gaskets then when things are tightened up the 550 header pipe (on a 4/1 anyway) will push its way through the inside diameter of the gasket and the steel header pipe is then bearing directly on the aluminium face inside the port entrance. Possibly damaging this surface if the clamps are tightened with too much force. And there is no way of knowing as you cannot look inside to see what is happening at this point in exhaust assembly.

And you cannot use the 550 gaskets because they slop around inside the 650 port and it would be impossible to line the header pipe up with a gasket that is laying on the bottom of the port. And we all know what the standard exhaust gasket looks like don't we. It's a square section of heat resistant material which does not compress much if any when the exhaust is tightened.

Port Sizes: The 550 port size is around 36mm and the 650 port size is 42mm. That's 6mm difference which is a lot of movement X 4.

THE SOLUTION:

The solution (my solution) is to use different exhaust gaskets that have a larger diameter to fit the 42mm 650 port (OD) and smaller ID to accommodate the smaller diameter of the 550 header pipe.

Part II of the solution is to have four metal sleeves made up to fit inside the 650 port and which the 550 header pipe will then sit inside to prevent excessive movement. These sleeves in my case were made from some steam pipe that I found laying around at my workplace. It was not the absolute correct size for my application, so I had a friend turn them to the correct size on his lathe. He owed me a favour as I helped him sell his 1924 Alvis.

On the 4/1 header there is usually a ring welded to the pipe about an inch and a half from the end of the pipe that goes into the port. This is the ring that the exhaust clamp pulls against to hold the header pipe in the port securely.

Shown above are the exhaust gaskets that need to be used. They are from the following Suzuki models and there size is 42mm OD x 28.5mm ID.
    GSX R 750WP/WR 93-94
    GSX R 750 WS 95
    RF 600 RP/RR 93-94
    RF 600 RS/RT 95-96
    RF 900 RR/RS 94-95
    RF 900 RZS/RT 95-96

VESRAH PART NO. VE - 3024
    OEM PART NO. 14181-17E00

[

Another picture of the exhaust gasket to use.

Sleeves as made up to fit over smaller 550 pipes and inside the 42mm 650 port. The sleeve size is 40mm OD, 37mm ID, and 18mm long.

Metal sleeve being placed over 550 exhaust header pipe.

Sleeve partially fitted on 550 exhaust pipe.

Sleeve fitted on 550 pipe, pushed fully on. Note: Sleeve is flush with end of pipe so both of them seal on the new exhaust gasket preventing leakage which is not possible if the 550 pipes are just pushed into the 650 head with no modifications.

All four sleeves fitted and lined up ready to go into cylinder head. When final fitting is done exhaust cement/putty will be placed between the sleeve and the 550 pipe to achieve complete sealing. Then exhaust will be installed on head and everything tightened up.

Showing sleeve fitment to 650 port if this method of fitting is desired. The gasket has not been fitted at this point as this is a trial fitting only. Don't forget to install gasket. Note: All new exhaust threads. Every thread on this head has stainless steel Recoils fitted.

Gasket and sleeve fitted. It will be noticed that the sleeve is a loose fit in the 650 port. Port size is 42mm and OD of sleeve is 40mm. This is because this type of 4/1 often do not line up perfectly and this small amount of play allows enough movement to get each header pipe in the four ports and adds to ease of fitting. Fitting is more difficult when head is on motorcycle and not on bench.

Final picture of sleeve fitted to 550 pipe.

I hope this thread will be of use to someone. Another mini-project out of the way for me. Not as big as some I have had to do on this restoration.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM.

Nice write up...I dont have a 550 but great info nonetheless...Thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
      Nice write up...I dont have a 550 but great info nonetheless...Thanks

John
      And Thanks for your Thanks.

Comment

so are you putting a 650 head on a 550? or just the exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
          so are you putting a 650 head on a 550? or just the exhaust
          I have put the 650 barrels on my 550 crankcases and the head is soon to follow. I have just installed the new valves and am taking measurements to record how much has to be ground off the end of the valve stems to give me the clearance that I need.

And yes I am going to install my old 550 4/1 headers onto the 650 head when it is all back together.

Comment

That engine looks way to clean Don.
            Please cover it in oil and grease before the next photo to make me feel better.

That seems to be a hell of a mod you have taken on mate, i look forward to the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
              That engine looks way to clean Don.
              Please cover it in oil and grease before the next photo to make me feel better.

That seems to be a hell of a mod you have taken on mate, i look forward to the end result.
              Not to mention the twin piston calipers on both sides adapted to CBR900RR Fireblade discs and on a 550 frame it should handle quite nicely. A bit less weight than a 1000 and more horses than the 8-valve 750 with a six speed transmission.

I'll put in a picture of the rest of the engine to make you really fed up, before and after pictures.

Comment

Ohh 6 gear transmission, it all makes sense now

Comment

big bore in the works? or stock

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                    big bore in the works? or stock
                    Not really "big bore" just 1mm oversize that takes it out to 700cc. Standard 650 is 73 hp, that's up from 49 hp on the old 550, so it will be just a bit more than that with different camshafts for a little more boost in the upper ranges.

Comment

Very nice job! Keep this in mind, the 6 speed has narrower gears than the 5 speed & they are roughly the same total width. This means the 6 speed won't take the torque & abuse the 5 speed will. I think you will still be ok because back then they were building stuff so over kill that it lived anyway. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray. Good to have confirmation from someone in the know.

Comment

Don, Ray's right to point that out but just to confirm his thoughts that the engineering was overkill, I built a pretty mean 550 back in the day and one of my mates built one waaay meaner (an evil machine that could outpace all the 750s but was a right beggar to start and ride). All the bits 'came out of the back door' of Dixon racing and Cliff worked at the now long defunct Wates Engineering - AKA Wates of Space Engineering after they cocked up on a WRC engine. supposedly cost somebody famous the world championship (not that famous as I can't remember him but he advertised Bryl Cream).

The transmission didn't even so much as whimper on either bike and both did a lot of miles.

If I remember correctly you can 'lengthen' the box with, I think, GT380 (if not the 380, definitely GT ot T) bits (which is what my mate did) but there was a long way between 2 of the gears (4th and 5th or 5th and 6th - I can't remember which). I'm sure the bits were a straight swap.

cheers
                          Wally
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                            If I remember correctly you can 'lengthen' the box with, I think, GT380 (if not the 380, definitely GT ot T) bits (which is what my mate did) but there was a long way between 2 of the gears (4th and 5th or 5th and 6th - I can't remember which). I'm sure the bits were a straight swap.

cheers
                            Wally
                            Thanks Wally for your input. It never occurred to me that the trans. would not be strong enough. The power is being increased from 49 to 73 horse power. Who knows how to work out the percentage of increase from these figures.

What do you mean by lengthen the box, and are you saying the GT380 gears will fit in the GS box. So just a matter of replacing the GS gears with the GT gears. Did the Gts have 5 or 6 speed gears.

Thanks again.
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Don, by 'lengthen the box' I meant having the ability to have a higher 6th gear in relation to 1st, ideally evenly spaced. The advantage of going from 5 to 6 gears is that you can keep the bike on song through the gears. With the added power of your conversion this isn't as desirable / necessary as for the standard 550 but you could end up having either a very high first gear or revving out too easily in 6th, depending on what sprockets you fit. In an ideal world the 6 gears would be more evenly spread across the speed range to avoid this.

I'm 75% guessing that my mate fitted GT380 gearbox parts to alleviate this (a bit, as the end result wasn't a perfect spread). When I worked at Mercury I had free (?) access to second hand bits and that would have been in the main GS, GT and T bits. The gearboxes on the entire range (other than the small bikes) followed a very similar layout and the 380 had 6 gears (so did the 250 but the others were all 5). So my thoughts are part memory part reasoning. The swap didn't require any engineering, just swapping and matching parts.

I haven't got any GT / T gearboxes lying around but maybe someone on here has and could take some measurements.

Of course, I'm probably talking completely out of my backside and with all the extra torque you'll be getting as well as power your bike will pull great from 1st to 6th anyway!
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X