Under seat tool storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under seat tool storage?

Hi everyone. Picked up my first motorcycle yesterday, an 82 GS750T and promptly put on 87 miles. This forum was a great help in the process, thanks. Why I didn't learn to ride years ago is beyond me!

I did need some tools on the maiden voyage to retighten some things the mechanic didn't quite seem to remember (exhaust manifold), but fortunately, that happened in front of an auto parts store. So now I own yet another 6mm allen wrench and universal screwdriver.

So my question is this, has anyone successfully found a way to store a toolkit under the seat and out of sight? I think I want to make a tiny set of jumper cables as well for charging and emergencies to keep in there.

Thanks again.

You could always get some pods and store them in the old air box

Seriously though, depends on the room... I would say see what you have for space and get small enough bag that fits and find a way to secure it. I keep my tools in a small bag that straps to by sissy bar. Once you start packing a tool kit it is easy to get a lot of tools together. Dont forget some fuses I store mine in those little pill containters they sell at cvs.

Comment

The 750T has a storage spot behind the left sidecover. Probably no tools there though .
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
        ya joke.... but that's actually a pretty good idea and would fill the hole nicely behind my right side panel on my katana , plus would free up the space in the tail....

cheers

Comment

I use a tool roll under the seat secured to the frame with bungee cords. I removed the stock air box and use pods too.
          sigpic1979 GS 1000E
          Southside Chicago

Comment

Jwhelan made a nice wire mesh basket that goes in the cavity left by his lack of an airbox. Here's his thread about it:

I was planning on that route, since I'm going the pod route. Previously, I carried just about everything I could ever need in a small zippered canvas/nylon pouch, in the rear cowl area, right behind the taillight.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
              Yup...
              I've got a Fluke DVM case that holds my tools...rides on a couple of Velcro straps over the battery where the air box once lived.
              Duct/electrical tape, fuses, wire, bulbs and a couple of other things live in the tail section.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

As others have done, I simply use my airbox as a storage box on my 1100EX now that it has pods...

I blocked all the holes in it & pushed the "lid retaining screw" through a small rubber piece to fashion a knob. Now I don't need a screwdriver to get the lid off - just turn the rubber knob to remove/tighten the lid.

I went to the hardware store with the lid screw & found drawers of rubber "feet" (the kind you find under your Mr.Coffee so it doesn't scratch the counter). I found one that was about 3/4" high and when I pushed the screw through the hole it was very snug - instant "threaded knob".

Those things can hold a lot of stuff!!
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                X