No announcement yet.

Trick to get Bike on Center Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just reread my last post and it sounds a little sarcastic, I really didn't mean it in a mean spirited way but actually meant it in a humorous way, sorry if it sounded bad to you,

Wacky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
      I just reread my last post and it sounds a little sarcastic, I really didn't mean it in a mean spirited way but actually meant it in a humorous way, sorry if it sounded bad to you,

Wacky
      Your wife must have the touch then, because all my gs's have been difficult for me. And, I'm no slouch.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I'm 65kg and only about 5'6" tall. Getting my '79 GS550 on the centrestand has always been a pain.
        Getting my '82 GPz750 on the centrestand I have a new process which involves me standing at right-angles to the bike, LEFT foot on the centrestand and pulling it up with the strength in my legs and using my my right hand.
        My '78 GS750 ... no way I can get it on the centrestand myself .. nothing I have tried will work

Comment

Actually another thing that makes a big difference in being able to put the bike on the center stand is whether or not the rear shocks and front forks are original or in original dimensions. If you use slightly shorter shocks and/or lower the front then it changes the angle of the center stand striking the ground which in turn makes it harder to put it onto the center stand.
          For example, my first 1100E, I removed the rear shocks and installed struts then lowered the front, this made it almost impossible even for me to put it on the center stand, I had to push down with all my weight and pull with all my mite and when I finally got it on the center stand I had to sit down and rest for awhile before I started tinkering.

This is also why some of the previous postings suggested using a 2x4 or something of that type to raise the back end of the bike to make it easier to lift.
          Last edited by wacky941; 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Not a hassle for me at all with my 850. Stand down, press on the tab with my foot, lift upwards and rearwards from the frame member that descends from near the rear of the tank. Not 'easy' but definitely not like you guys are describing!

Remember, practice makes perfect ;D

- boingk

Comment

I did say my technique might be off. I also said my 850 does NOT have the grab rail or 'lifting bar' as far as I can determine. Grabbing the frame member as was described might help (have to try that) but I definately have the size for the job. BTW, isn't an E model more of a sporting mount? that would mean a higher ride height than the wanabe Harley L model. That might be why. Or I could just not be catching the right angle.
              And I am getting it stable. I'm out of practice, not a tyro.

Comment

Spyderman showed me how to do it on my big lump of a GS850. It has to be over 600lbs. Good thing because I was wrenching my back every time I did it my old way.

Stand on left side of bike facing bike. Left hand on handlebar, right hand on lifting handle near back below seat. Right foot on centre stand foot thing. Put weight on centre stand and liftup handle. It is that easy.

Thanks Jon.

Comment

No lifting handle extant on mine thanks to PO. It just ain't there.

Comment

2 Inch platform worked

I put three sheets of plywood (2 inches in all) together so the wheel goes up one plywood sheet at a time. After the rear wheel goes up all three sheets of plywood, the wheel is two inches high. It is then an easy gig to pull the bike backward and it just rocks onto the center stand. Also, once the bike is on the center stand I can remove the plywood platform and keep it inside so the weather doesn't degrade it. Hope this helps. Gord.

Comment

I use the bikes own weight and momentum to do it.

I just walk the bike up a few feet, grab the side/rear handlebar, then walk it backwards really fast, then quickly slam the center stand downwards with my right foot, causing the bike to obviously roll itself back on the stand.(i use my bodyweight and arms to pull the bike back too)

It's a little violent and sometimes scraps my crappy garage floor, but it works!

Comment

650 is lighter than an 1100

I had a GS650GLZ and it was a breeze to get it on the center stand. My GS1100GLD is over 500 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
                          Not a hassle for me at all with my 850. Stand down, press on the tab with my foot, lift upwards and rearwards from the frame member that descends from near the rear of the tank. Not 'easy' but definitely not like you guys are describing!

Remember, practice makes perfect ;D

- boingk
                          Found a frame member to use as my missing lift handle, makes a ton of differance. Still not easy, but much easyER.

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
                            Spyderman showed me how to do it on my big lump of a GS850. It has to be over 600lbs. Good thing because I was wrenching my back every time I did it my old way.

Stand on left side of bike facing bike. Left hand on handlebar, right hand on lifting handle near back below seat. Right foot on centre stand foot thing. Put weight on centre stand and liftup handle. It is that easy.

Thanks Jon.
                            Over 600 pounds? Good God! What have you added to the bike to add more than 65 pounds? Factory weight is 535.

Comment

Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
                              Over 600 pounds? Good God! What have you added to the bike to add more than 65 pounds? Factory weight is 535.
                              From the Suzuki FACTORY MANUAL, dry weight is 558. Add in 5.8 gallons of gas at, what, 6.5 pounds per gallon?
                              That would be 34.8 pounds, taking it to 592.8. Add in another 6 pounds or so for the oil and guess what.

Last edited by Steve; 04-27-2010, 07:45 AM.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Found a frame member to use as my missing lift handle, makes a ton of differance. Still not easy, but much easyER.
                                Hey, there we go! Good stuff, glad to here some of my advice helped. And yeah, its not the easiest thing in the world to do...but this way you won't throw your back out doing it, either.

As for factory weight, I'll let you know what mine weighs when I go harrass the fellows at the weighbridge out at the tip.

Ten I'll tell you how much I took off it hahaha

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Working...
                                X