Trick to get Bike on Center Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    From the Suzuki FACTORY MANUAL, dry weight is 558. Add in 5.8 gallons of gas at, what, 6.5 pounds per gallon?
    That would be 34.8 pounds, taking it to 592.8. Add in another 6 pounds or so for the oil and guess what.

From the factory manual for 82: Dry weight 540 pounds, so I was off, but 558 is for what model? The one I have access to is for a G model, L's heavier? Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon so since oil and gas both float, so 6.5 per gallon isn't likely too far off, making 574.8, and 6 pound for oil? 580.8.
    close, but not 600, unless the L is heavier.
    (Is boingk's an L?)
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2010, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
      I use the bikes own weight and momentum to do it.

I just walk the bike up a few feet, grab the side/rear handlebar, then walk it backwards really fast, then quickly slam the center stand downwards with my right foot, causing the bike to obviously roll itself back on the stand.(i use my bodyweight and arms to pull the bike back too)

It's a little violent and sometimes scraps my crappy garage floor, but it works!
      + 1

Comment

I thought the video was helpful.
        I'm not real smooth at centering my 1100 but I can do it now. Before I couldn't.
        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The trick is to use your weight, not your muscles.

Even if you are a relative light-weight, it takes the same technique.

Stand on the left side of the bike, lower the centerstand with your right foot.
          Press down on the lifting tab, tilt the bike upright while pressing down on the tab, you will feel when both of the centerstand feet are touching the ground.
          Put the lifting tab of the centerstand in a position under your foot where you will be comfortable standing on it.
          Put your left hand on the left grip on the handlebar, your right hand on the lifting rail under the edge of the seat.
          Lean over the bike, put ALL of your weight on your right foot. Yes, the bike will be stable.
          Lift a little with both hands, the bike will practially jump onto the centerstand.

Portdave had problems lifing his 750, too. I showed him how to do this.
          Then I had him do it with my 900-pound Wing.
          Let's just say that he was surprised how easy it is to do with the correct technique.

Wow, I never knew so many people had trouble getting bikes onto centerstands. My dad can never get his '82 nekkid GoldWing onto the centerstand, but I do it no problem and I do exactly like Steve describes. Never had a bike yet that didn't go right up onto it's stand. Although I DID have a Honda CX500 once that was the most awkward. I think one of the centerstand legs was bent somehow...

Comment

Here's a good one, my 1979 GS850 is way easier to get on the center stand than my 1979 GS550, a much lighter bike! Not that the 550 is difficult, but the 850 almost seems to want to get on the center stand. Go figure

Comment

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
              Although I DID have a Honda CX500 once that was the most awkward. I think one of the centerstand legs was bent somehow...

I once had a '79 CX500 Custom, Dark Candy Apple Blue, I bought brand new, really nice bike until I totaled it out but that was by far the easiest bike I ever had to put onto the center stand, just step onto the stand and it jumped up onto the center stand.
              Which year/model did you have?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
                Here's a good one, my 1979 GS850 is way easier to get on the center stand than my 1979 GS550, a much lighter bike! Not that the 550 is difficult, but the 850 almost seems to want to get on the center stand. Go figure
                Wish mine was so eager. Must be that 16 inch rear wheel and cruiserlike stance the L models have.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                  I once had a '79 CX500 Custom, Dark Candy Apple Blue, I bought brand new, really nice bike until I totaled it out but that was by far the easiest bike I ever had to put onto the center stand, just step onto the stand and it jumped up onto the center stand.
                  Which year/model did you have?
                  I've had 3 over the years: an '80 Deluxe, an '81 Custom (same dark blue / medium blue two-tone factory color) and an '82 Custom (factory dark maroon / lighter maroon two-tone). It was the '82 that was so awkward.

The easiest two ever were/are my Mom's '74 Honda CB200 and my son's '82 Honda FT500 Ascot. Must be their super light weight. You only have to use yer toes of one foot to pop either of 'em up on their stands.

Comment

My 76 Wing was the easiest when you get it you'll wonder why you had so much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post

Remember, practice makes perfect ;D

- boingk
                      Actually "perfect practise" makes perfect. If you practise the wrong way its still wrong.

Comment

putting bike on centre stand... easy..

hi guys i took a few guys advice from resources,,, and there are some great pics on u tube,, punch up yhe google and then watch the several u tube pics .. you will find it easy... and if worse comes to worse ... throw a 6x2 about a metre long behind the rear wheel and a brick under the end of the plank then back the bike up the plack the just lower the centre stand... i,ve got a gs1000e and its reasonably easy to put on centre stand regards david

Comment

I disagree with those vids. I has a GS1100 and I put it up with ease
                          HERE I mad a video
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
                            HERE I mad a video
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnHcwcC5pqE

Doesn't your bike have the lifting bar under the seat on the left hand side?

I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone lift it using the rear footpeg, looks like an easy way to get yourself hurt by leaning over too far, you could easily strain your back muscles.

I agree with your video up to that point.

No disrespect intended, just my opinion.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
                              HERE I mad a video
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnHcwcC5pqE
                              Recipe for back trouble, lifting from a bent over position, but good demo otherwise. 610 pounds? I thought the 1100's were lighter than the 850s

Comment

Easiest thing is to get a piece of wood approx' 1" thick. Easy to roll the rear tire up on it. The centerstand will now contact the ground later in it's downward arc and with any kind of proper technique the lifting force needed is cut in half. Pull straight up and a little rearward with your back straight. The bike will naturally rock back as the stand locks in.
                                A 2" thick piece makes it almost childs play but is a tad more difficult to get the tire up on.
                                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                                X