need help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help please

i have an 82 gs450t that i just got.. i want to take the carbs off to clean them.... the four screws holding it to the engine are pretty rusty and when i use a a screwdriver it is destroying the screw... i have it sprayed with pb blaster and letting it soak in right now... any ideas on how to remove it?

thanks

Originally posted by rmathew313 View Post
    i have an 82 gs450t that i just got.. i want to take the carbs off to clean them.... the four screws holding it to the engine are pretty rusty and when i use a a screwdriver it is destroying the screw... i have it sprayed with pb blaster and letting it soak in right now... any ideas on how to remove it?

thanks

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PB blaster, heat and an impact driver are your best bet.

Comment

That Haynes manual is a good place to start.

The carbs should be held into the carb boots by clamps. Loosen the clamps around the boots and pull the carbs out. Basscliff should be along soon with your mega welcome with some more excellent advice. Good luck.

Comment

If the screws are completely pooched can try something like vise grips (ugh!!!) on the outer screws and maybe get them out. Then you should be able rotate the manifold enough to maybe loosen the inner screw. It should rotate because the 2 mating surfaces are flat. This of course is with the carbs removed. Be glad you have a twin because you couldn't do this on a four.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
          X