X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motorcycle plastics repair. KOKKINA FEGARIA TECH

Pay close attention

EXPERT PLASTIC REPAIR

This guy is great! I've used sandpaper but never a hot air gun. Thanks!

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Gotta try that. I have an old pair of door mirrors off a Land Rover I can do a try on. Thanks

Comment

Don't be so disgusting likea me. Usea water. LOL!!

Comment

Okay I love that guy and that technique. I wonder how good they look under close scrutiny and how long they'll remain black again.

Comment

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
            Okay I love that guy and that technique. I wonder how good they look under close scrutiny and how long they'll remain black again.
            It looks like he is getting the plastic to reflow which gives it a shiny appearance. I have never tried it but it has to be better than the sun dired surface finish and adding some black liquid shoe polish over the top to (acts like a dye) should improve things as well if there is any non uniformity in color.

Comment

i wish i would have known about that before i went krylon crazy...could have saved a few buck and had a new tool...but like someone else said...wonder how it looks under closer inspection

Comment

Like painting , probably depends on the prep work

Comment

I really like this guy! He reminds me of my ex wifes brother in law Yiannis who is a great guy. His stuff is really geared to the newbies.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    It looks like he is getting the plastic to reflow which gives it a shiny appearance. I have never tried it but it has to be better than the sun dired surface finish and adding some black liquid shoe polish over the top to (acts like a dye) should improve things as well if there is any non uniformity in color.
                    Just like buffing clear coat. The compound just makes small scratches out of big scratches, add a little heat and the clear flows back. I know a guy who restores old cars, after he paints them he buffs them with a wool bonnet and vegetable oil, no compound. The vegetable oil just lubricates, the bonnet does the rest. Does an unbelievable job.

Comment

Interesting link.

Thanks posplayr.

I guess if you wanted to put a security mark on anything you did, just melt your fingerprint right into it.

Chris
                      1983 750 Katana
                      1982 750 Katana (parts use)
                      1983 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by mottyl View Post
                        Interesting link.

Thanks posplayr.

I guess if you wanted to put a security mark on anything you did, just melt your fingerprint right into it.

Chris
                        I thought the guy was pretty funny, and as a bonus, the trick about heating the plastic might even work

Comment

lol, he reminds me of my uncle.....footaball, lmao.....

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

looks like a jeep tj repair trick for flares
                            it works
                            it works amazingly well
                            it lasts for as long as the uv charecteristices of the rejuvenated plastic can

but if you have time to use armor all or its equalsor a garage its fabulous

requires the lightest of touches as it is easy to melt stuff inot a useless blob
                            or usefull blob depending on you point of view

Comment

Thanks for the tip on restoring the white faded black plastic.

It works. I tried it with 2 different guns. The gun that gets to 750°F and looks like a industrial hair drier with a foot was a little much. Melted a rear side reflector piece. But, replaced it with a NOS piece for $6.

The smaller shrink tube gun worked like magic though. Worked really well on the seat pan and trunk lid. I like it better than scrubbing the nooks and cranies, and much quicker too.

The process is using heat to extract the plasticisor compounds in the plastic. Basically brings it to the surface rapidly by accelerating the curing process. Sun dried plastics become white due to the UV, heat, and ozone extracting them at the surface, this is called "leaching." Thus why sanding or scotchbrite works as well.

Elastomer compounds do the same thing, but the white (bloom) can be wiped off easier. Softer, the more plasticisors. Elastomers will also absorb back into the material when heated.

If all possible not sanding or scotchbrite padding it and just heating it with the gun gives it a better surface finish. More like NOS parts, or so I believe.

It is pretty easy to get the feel of it. Too much heat will melt it, but as the heat is applied you can see the transition in the material telling you to move as it changes to black. It takes on an oily appearance, time to move the gun.

Thanks again. Good one, I'll never scrub black plastic again.

E
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X