Side stand spring made easy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side stand spring made easy.

This may be old news, but it is new to me, and I didn't see anything for it already posted, for what's that worth. To remove the side stand spring with no sweat, with the bike on the center stand, swing the side stand to where the spring is expressed, pulled out, elongated,(insert your word) the most. Then washers, I used some stainless steel washers about 9/16 --5/8 across...the stainless are usually slimmer than standard washers. The thin part mattered, in that when the washers were inserted between every coil of the spring, the thin ones went further in. So I gently pushed as many washers as I could, one per wrap, in from the front right, more or less. I pushed them in enough so they would fit snugly, but they did not go all in...3/16, maybe 1/4 harnging out. I then pushed the side stand back in, and the spring fell out in my hand. I put it aside, and installed, after fooling with side stand, in reverse order. thanks

Bravo ..

Comment

Ohhh I am so using this, tugged at it for a while and gave up thinking even if i get it off no way I will put it back on. Mine has worn so it tucks up under the pipe with just a tiny bit showing for my boot to grab. I want to put some washers on the bolt that attaches it to kick it back out where it should be.

Comment

nice, now if I can only remember this

Comment

Works very well, read about years ago and have used the method ever since

Comment

Excellent. Much appreciated!

Comment

Great tip!!! I wonder if it will also work on that mean mother of a centre stand spring?
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Great info. Thanks for passing it on.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yes it will work on the center stand ! need fairly thin washers as many as you can drive into the spring when down, retract stand & remove spring by hand

Comment

never heard it before...nice...will be using...on lots of springs...

Comment

I am deeply gratified. Thank you. I was looking for advice on testing the ignition system, which I will not grasp, but hopefully will find a step by step procedure to follow, and thought to look over here. Nothing is new under the sun, and I have never claimed to be the first to know anything, but it was a new trick to me. Again, thank you all for your kindness, it made my day!

Comment

I've used this pennies/washers in the spring trick before and it does work. Another method that works is to hook a screwdriver around both the spring and the anchor stud and then lever the spring into position. It takes a little effort using this method but nothing severe.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did this over the weekend and helped a lot. Got my side stand shimmed out a bit, was folding up under the pipe to far.

Comment

home made spring stretcher hook is what i use...
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Another method that works is to hook a screwdriver around both the spring and the anchor stud and then lever the spring into position. It takes a little effort using this method but nothing severe.
                              I really like and appreciate the washers/coins idea! Personally, like Nessism, I've always used the screwdriver method. Next time though, its washers or coins.
                              Thanks again!
                              Willie
                              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Working...
                              X