500 lbs (Baby) HF Engine Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500 lbs (Baby) HF Engine Stand

I have some engine work ahead and wanted an engine stand that I could rotate as required whether the engine needed the top end done of cases split. Also did not want to dedicate bench space to it. Also did not want to cantilever the engine out.

Got the smallest HF engine stand and had some spare ED frame mounts. Made a sort or rotisserie using some round galvanized tubing.

Will give it a test ride next week.

I improved my welding skills a bit but obviously they are still not commercial quality.

BTW the 500 lbs HF engine stand is really well made for the $50 it costs (even cheaper on sale) Steel wheels all around.

UPDATE 5/7/2011: Stand is working fine

I guess it is possible to flip it over but with a little care it is not a problem so far.

Draining out all of the oil.

Last edited by posplayr; 06-02-2015, 09:38 PM.

Let's see some pics with a motor
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
      Let's see some pics with a motor
      Yea I'm working on my Innovate LM-2 and LMA-3 at the moment

Comment

No disrespect intended Jim but you might want to take a hammer to those welded brackets and give them a few good whacks! Better to test them for strength before hanging your expensive engine from them.
        Last edited by Nessism; 08-12-2010, 12:42 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          No disrespect intended Jim but you might want to take a hammer to those welded brackets and give them a few good whacks! Better to test them for strength before hanging your expensive from them.
          I already did Ed, 5 lbs sledge
          You think I trust my HF welds? Yea right

Comment

That looks really cool but, I stopped using the three legged stands years ago after having a tip-over accident with a chevy 350, now I use nothing but four legged stands, that's just me.

Seriously though if that works the way you want it to, you really should patent it (unless someone has already). Excellent job!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
              That looks really cool but, I stopped using the three legged stands years ago after having a tip-over accident with a chevy 350, now I use nothing but four legged stands, that's just me.

Seriously though if that works the way you want it to, you really should patent it (unless someone has already). Excellent job!
              I agree, if I had been doing a V-8 I would have gone the next larger size with 4 legs. This is rated at 500 as is . I'm not sure how much the support will stabilize it, but will be trying pretty soon.

I also have a HF hydraulic table that I figured would be a little easier to maneuve up next to the stand without the extra leg.

It is just really a rotisserie like of you were going to barbecue a pig

Just looked again, I guess if the engine CG gets outside a line drawn from front wheel to either rear wheel could be tippzy time. Gotta watch those sloped areas I guess. Also with a complete engine rightside up rolling it over might just tip it over. as well.
              Last edited by posplayr; 08-12-2010, 12:06 AM.

Comment

I LIKE ! and I have an engine stand buried in the back room

Comment

You could always use some bar stock and a couple of casters and make some outriggers on the single-wheeled side. Probably cost less than $20 in materials for a reasonable measure of piece of mind.

Comment

Very nice I like the rotisserie style so you can get to the bottem end the one I made a while back only lets you fiddle with the top end.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150streetracer View Post
                      Very nice I like the rotisserie style so you can get to the bottem end the one I made a while back only lets you fiddle with the top end.
                      Yea I studied yours and the K&L version for a while. I even had a spare frame I considered hacking. There is plenty of slop in the other rotisserie side so I'm hoping they can rotate freely. It is really a combination of the two ideas.

Have You had any issues with 3 point stand tip over have you? Seems that the GS1100 motor is small enough unless I was on a 25 degree slop it would not tip over.

I would never use this for an V-8 or anything that large but for a 200 lbs GS motor it seems plenty strong.

I have a hydraulic table, so I'm hoping after wrestling the motor out of teh fraem it is a simple matter of getting it up on here, then jack it up and attach the rear mount and insert into the stand.

Note to self, make sure the front mount is also inserted before mounting rear (other wise I might not get it in without reremoving the engine)

Last edited by posplayr; 08-15-2010, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Yea I studied yours and the K&L version for a while. I even had a spare frame I considered hacking. There is plenty of slop in the other rotisserie side so I'm hoping they can rotate freely. It is really a combination of the two ideas.

Have You had any issues with 3 point stand tip over have you? Seems that the GS1100 motor is small enough unless I was on a 25 degree slop it would not tip over.

I would never use this for an V-8 or anything that large but for a 200 lbs GS motor it seems plenty strong.

I have a hydraulic table, so I'm hoping after wrestling the motor out of teh fraem it is a simple matter of getting it up on here, then jack it up and attach the rear mount and insert into the stand.

Note to self, make sure the front mount is also inserted before mounting rear (other wise I might not get it in without reremoving the engine)

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Mobile-5.../dp/B000VIC49Q
                        Yea I never had any problems with tip over with my set up,Ive pushed it across the garage a few hundred times now cause im always moving stuff around,might have to do a change up if your set up works becuase id like to get to the bottem end,not just the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                          You could always use some bar stock and a couple of casters and make some outriggers on the single-wheeled side. Probably cost less than $20 in materials for a reasonable measure of piece of mind.
                          ...and you get to practice your welding even more! I always jump at the chance to practice mine, hehe!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                          X