Bolt Stuck in Front Caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt Stuck in Front Caliper

One of the Main Bolts that hold the caliper in place is stuck and i am to blame for!! when changing my pads i saw the threads on the bolt were just about stripped and i put it in anyway and it was REAL hard putting it back in... now its time for new brake pads! i am a complete idiot i know... my idea is i am going to JB weld a socket head on this thing and let it dry for like 2 days and then give it a shot.... any other ideas? btw the bolt head isnt straight exactly in the best shape... can anyone think of a tool that can grab this bolt's head really hard?
    Last edited by GabrielGoes; 08-11-2010, 02:12 AM.
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

How about posting a picture of what you are working on?

Try vise grip pliers to grab a hold of the bolt head.

Another option may be to weld a nut on to the bolt head or cut a slot in the bolt head for a screwdriver.

You might be able to cut the head off the bolt and they use vise grips to remove the shank of the bolt after you remove the caliper.

Comment

it sounds like the threads are stripped and you probably cross threaded it. With aluminum you have to be careful. I always hand tighten even if using a socket to make sure I'm following the threads. It is real important to do this with spark plugs. I hand tighten almost all the way just to be sure.

Once you get it out buy a helicoil kit to restore the threads. Then you can retain the stock bolt size.

I'm rereading the post, you must have really got that bolt in crooked. PT blaster and heat might help break it loose. Use a 6 point socket as a 12 point can strip easier. The torque spec on those bolts is probably about 20 ft-lbs???

All the techniues Al mentioned are for getting stuck exhaust bolts out should also apply. Watch out about getting an easy out broke off in there. That s the last think.

If you are not very experienced at this you could also just pull the fork off and take it to a shop that could drill the bolt out and helicoil it for you.
      Last edited by posplayr; 08-11-2010, 10:31 AM.

Comment

thanks guys i really appreciate your help, i used a vice grip of death and a copper tube for leverage and got that sucker out.... bought a new bolt and put it right in! what a nightmare stuck bolts can be... today my front axle bolt was being a little #$@! so i just shoved it right on (not to much of a fight_ but i plan on eventually buying an axle off ebay the next time i do a tire change
        Originally posted by tkent02
        That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
        John 3:16

Comment

Glad you were able to get the bolt out. Its best not to force fasteners. If you can't easily thread it in by hand, STOP and find out why it won't fit.

Comment

Working...
          X