Best way to check if chain needs tightened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to check if chain needs tightened

Before any one asks I did a search but came up with nothing. I'm wanting to do an accurate check of my chain and want to make sure I get it right and not over tightened. Any input would be great.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
    Before any one asks I did a search but came up with nothing. I'm wanting to do an accurate check of my chain and want to make sure I get it right and not over tightened. Any input would be great.

IT IS DIFFERENT FOR ALL BIKES AS THE SWINGARM IS DIFFERNT ON ALL BIKES

do you have the manua?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      IT IS DIFFERENT FOR ALL BIKES AS THE SWINGARM IS DIFFERNT ON ALL BIKES

do you have the manua?

Well arent I just ignorant. I totally forgot the manual. I may only be 36 but I swear I'm already senile. Thanks jeeprusty
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

ah mock us senile folks at your peril

mine calls for about 1.5 inches with a fat ass on the seat

but it differs bike to bike

Comment

I believe GS bikes call for checking with the bike on the centerstand. Measure with a ruler.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I believe GS bikes call for checking with the bike on the centerstand. Measure with a ruler.

alas mine does not so there

Comment

I put mine on the centerstand and measure in the visual center of the chain. I use 1/2" to 3/4". Any more, it gets snugged up. Any less, it gets loosened.

Comment

well good golly fat assed people will sag a suspension more than a light weight
                so go ahead and make an arbitrary measure if you must

Comment

well good golly fat assed people will sag a suspension more than a light weight
                  so go ahead and make an arbitrary measure if you must
                  You know, on a quantum level, all measurements are arbitrary. Please enlighten us as to he correct method, oh glorious one.

Here's a tip. The weight of the person riding shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                    You know, on a quantum level, all measurements are arbitrary. Please enlighten us as to he correct method, oh glorious one.

Here's a tip. The weight of the person riding shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I could have sworn that a fat ass person takes up more chain slack thant a skinny bastard

I dunno
                    why are you making fun of me?

Comment

More rocket science.
                      Get a shafty, and forget about it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        More rocket science.
                        Get a shafty, and forget about it.

damn I knew you smug non dirty shaft lovers would show up.

You know all in all I would pick a shaft over a chain regardless of any HP or torque issues
                        I mean the Vmax is a shaftie yes?

Comment

I could have sworn that a fat ass person takes up more chain slack thant a skinny bastard

I dunno
                          why are you making fun of me?
                          Mostly because suspensions are designed with a set amount of travel in mind. Therefore, if someone's weight is causing the suspension to sag, then the suspension is out of spec. That means you need to get it back into spec, via the use of higher rate springs.

Also, everyone who commented about what settings to use made it clear that those were the settings for their own bikes.

Comment

damn I knew you smug non dirty shaft lovers would show up.

You know all in all I would pick a shaft over a chain regardless of any HP or torque issues
                            I mean the Vmax is a shaftie yes?
                            Not a shafty lover. Not a fan of overcomplicating everything either. If your chain is too loose, tighten it.
                            Otherwise ride it.
                            If that's too hard, get a shafty.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                              Mostly because suspensions are designed with a set amount of travel in mind. Therefore, if someone's weight is causing the suspension to sag, then the suspension is out of spec. That means you need to get it back into spec, via the use of higher rate springs.

Also, everyone who commented about what settings to use made it clear that those were the settings for their own bikes.

So what is that an Arizona thing? making fun of people?

Cause its really needlessly cruel.

In a world full of misaprehension and all.

I have seen bikes with suspensions that are exceeded by the riders with over loading.

so do we make an arbitrary measue and have the chain singing tight just to please a manual?

Nay I say No
                              indeeed ahch NOOO laddie.

Comment

Working...
                              X