Loose shifter? Weld it up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose shifter? Weld it up!

My brother in law's GS550e was hard to get into neutral, so I took off the shifter assembly and welded them up rock solid from the back. Saved some bucks over new. Plan to do the same to my 1100E this weekend. CHEAP FIX! All you need is a Harbor frieght flux core welder.

Could you post some pics of exactly what you are doing so I can understand a bit better. I'm trying to picture what you are making 'rock solid' and how it helps find neutral.

Thanks

Comment

If you weld the shifter how do you get the sprocket cover off?

Comment

I am waiting for pictures, too, but I seem to remember that the 550's shifter is a series of linkages betwen the pedal and the shaft.

I just can't picture how welding something that is supposed to pivot is good.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm with you Steve--welding a pivot point? I'm confused as well--pics please.

Comment

I needed new steering head bearings so I welded them up. Saved $16, well worth it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I needed new steering head bearings so I welded them up.
              I'll bet it doesn't wobble now, does it?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I'll bet it doesn't wobble now, does it?

No wobbles at all, I'm very happy with the improvement there. But now, strangely when I start out it just falls over, I don't get it.

Comment

Yeah, we've done it again.

Now to get back on topic:

Madbikebreaker, we're just killing time by hijacking your thread while waiting for those pictures.

We just want to know how welding on the shift linkages helps you find neutral.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We just want to know how welding on the shift linkages helps you find neutral.

I'm thinking he never leaves neutral, the shifter is WELDED!

Comment

Pic 1

Sorry for the crazy angle, but I didn't want to take it back off. I welded the BACK of the shift pivot ball thiny to the shift to the shift boss. Does that make more sense? After reading the posts I stopped and didn't do it to my bike, just my Bro in laws. His problem now if it's not a good thng to do. Cheapo didn't want to buy new parts.

Comment

Pic 2

Other side.

Comment

Did someone weld the focus on the camera, too?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Did someone weld the focus on the camera, too?
                            Oh be nice... Still no idea what it is you welded though...

Comment

OK, I think I have it figured out.

Here is part of the "Gear Shifting" fiche from Alpha Sports:

Aparently the stud that holds the pivot on the back side of part #30 is loose, as well as the same setup on part #35.

Not sure what normally holds them, but apparently welding the stud to the other parts makes sense.

The early descriptions of "took off the shifter assembly and welded them up rock solid " and no further clarification really left everyone guessing.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X