Homemade engine degreaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade engine degreaser

Don't go dunking your carbs or your little private parts in this but it works just as good as the other waterborn cleaners in a pinch.
    I live a long way from any decent parts store so makin' it yerself is just part of gitt'n 'er done.
    I got suspicious of the smell and consistancy as i ran out of yet another bottle of the latest commercial engine degreaser and figured i knew what that stuff was.
    I put about 4 part paint thinner, 1 part dish soap and a schwizzle of water in the bottle and shook it up.(kerosene or desiel would work fine too)
    Sprayed it all over the grimmy tracter motor, and the bike engine i was working on, then scrubbed it a bit with the parts brush, sprayed again and then flushed it off with a hose.
    Looks like, smells like and finished like, well, that $7.00 bottle.
    Walks like a duck...

I use straight deisel fuel as a solvent in my 'do-it-yerself' parts washer. I used the drain pan usually used for oil changes; put my part in with the deisel, scrub with a brass-brisseled brush, degrease with Simple-Green, then on to a tub of hot, soapy water, then dry with compressed air, prime and paint, or just reassemble.

I did this just a few days ago when re-furbing my center stand on my GS750. It looks like new, maybe better!

Comment

Working...
    X