Quick way to form things in fiberglass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick way to form things in fiberglass.

I lifted this from the EAA (experimental aircraft) site. It gives a good idea of how to make a form and glass up a part. I've done side panels this way and its relatively quick and easy.

Have a look: http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1881622714

Cheers,
    Spyug

Cool Beans. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Old school metal forming?

Is there a quick way to form sheet metal?
      I like it way better that fiberglass.
      Bill
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Is there a quick way to form sheet metal?
        English wheel

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            I lifted this from the EAA (experimental aircraft) site. It gives a good idea of how to make a form and glass up a part. I've done side panels this way and its relatively quick and easy.

Have a look: http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1881622714

Cheers,
            Spyug
            I have never wetted cloth out that way, but seems to have worked well. I need to modify a fairing so might use that technique.

Comment

Thanks for the link, have been looking for more information on fiber glass.

Comment

Like the way he folded plastic and wetted cloth. Always used wax paper, releases great now know a better way to wet the glass.

Comment

i make my molds using spray insulation foam

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
                    i make my molds using spray insulation foam
                    Only works with epoxy resins right? Polyester resins will melt the spray foam.

Spray foam also makes a negative, which then requires a positive??? Got any pics of the method?

I need to modify an existing headlamp faring to extend the ears to fit the head lamp.

Done quite a bit of work on surfboard/windsurfers not so much with forms.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 02-22-2011, 02:04 AM.

Comment

i pretty much use it to create new items. for instance for your fairing dilemma i would wrap the area i want the new piece first in saran wrap, then spray your foam on, go ahead and build it bigger than the item your going to make. next drink beer while foam cures. once it is cured shave the foam a little bit smaller than your item. cover the foam mold in.wax paper.or.whatever you like. lay fiberglass, drink beer, repeat until happy thickness is acheived. resin. drink beer let cure. remove your fiberglass from the mold and chop away the foam. all done

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
                        i pretty much use it to create new items. for instance for your fairing dilemma i would wrap the area i want the new piece first in saran wrap, then spray your foam on, go ahead and build it bigger than the item your going to make. next drink beer while foam cures. once it is cured shave the foam a little bit smaller than your item. cover the foam mold in.wax paper.or.whatever you like. lay fiberglass, drink beer, repeat until happy thickness is acheived. resin. drink beer let cure. remove your fiberglass from the mold and chop away the foam. all done

OK I think I got the idea; I have used some of that spray foam about 20 years ago when I had a guy spear the bottom of my windsurfer with his board. I taped over the hole and filled it with the spray foam the glassed over. What I'm confused about though is how much beer to drink??
                        Last edited by posplayr; 02-22-2011, 03:46 AM.

Comment

lots o beer

Comment

Working...
                          X