Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your key doesn't work in replacement helmet lock? Reset the cylinder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your key doesn't work in replacement helmet lock? Reset the cylinder!

My bike came to me without the helmet hook cylinder. The seat latch was there, but I wanted to have the complete set-up. I obtained a lock from machspeed, and got it yesterday. I know I could have paid a locksmith to do this, but I'm cheap and possess the MacGuyver gene, so I thought I would see if I could make my key work in this cylinder. SUCCESS! Easier than I thought, and I don't see why it won't work for others.

I didn't take a picture for each step, since the mechanism is just not that complex.
    1. Disassemble the lock by detaching the cable that goes to the seat latch, then remove the back plate and the guts that are inside. There's a 2 little springs and a detent ball, so be careful you don't lose them.

2. Once all of the springs and other parts are out, only the cylinder will remain. It is held place by a spring loaded tab shown in the photo. It's difficult to spot, but it's brass, and located at 6 o'clock in relation to the cylinder. I had to clean quite a bit of gunk before I could even see it, so keep that in mind. I used a paring knife with a sharp blade to get between the outer wall and the brass tab, then pushed the brass tab into the cylinder. With surprisingly little effort the cylinder will then push out the front. WATCH OUT! the guts are spring loaded! keep your hand around the core as it comes out so you don't have to hunt for teeny tiny little springs on the floor.

The "keeper" tab is sticking out to the left

3. Once the core is removed you can now reset the pins to match your key. The goal is to rearrange the little brass pieces so that when you insert your key, the surface of the core is smooth, and therefore will allow the core to spin free inside the casing. I had to actually remove one of those blades but I was able to make the others work just by shuffling them into positions (swapping places).

4. As the bad translation goes, refittal is reversal of removal!

I hope I just saved you about $50!

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
    1. Disassemble the lock by detaching the cable that goes to the seat latch, ...
    Not all bikes have a cable that goes to the seat latch.

But the rest of that certainly applies.

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
    WATCH OUT! the guts are spring loaded! keep your hand around the core as it comes out so you don't have to hunt for teeny tiny little springs on the floor.
    Even better: put the key in before you pull the cylinder, it will keep things from flying.

Now they won't fly until you pull the key out.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I re-keyed my ignition and seatlatch a few years ago by doing this very thing. Hardest part for me was working up the courage to try.

Comment

Working...
      X