Brake reservoir sight glass replacement - pictorial tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake reservoir sight glass replacement - pictorial tutorial

So the problem is our bikes are the better part of 25 years old. Most of them have been exposed to significant time in the sun. This has adverse affects on the brake fluid reservoir sight glass. This happens to be my clutch master cylinder and sight glass, but my brake looked just like it.

But I was unable to find a reasonably easy or inexpensive way to repair them. So I developed a method that has worked on two bikes now.
    If you're looking for an easy, cheap way to do this without having to buy a new master cylinder / reservoir, then read on!

Materials needed:
    Pack of round craft mirrors, assorted sizes. Get these from the craft store.

Cyanoacrylate or CA (crazy glue)
    Bar stock that can be chucked up in a hand drill, reasonably square end.
    Emery paper. I used 120 and 180 grits.
    Acetone
    Oven cleaner with lye
    2-part epoxy (I used JB Weld)
    Cotton tipped applicators (wooden handled Q-tips)
    Small syringe (optional)

Pre step 1: Prepare your master cylinder for a new sight glass by pressing out the old, faded, sun-crazed opaque 30 year old piece of junk sight glass. I used an appropriate sized socket from the inside of the reservoir, and pried with a big screwdriver. Popped right out. Save the internal baffle, whatever o- rings that may have been in there, and the bezel. The bezel has to be kept in good condition, as we are going to reuse it.

Step 1: Glue a craft mirror (that is the nearest size to what you need) to the square end of the bar stock using the CA. Try to center the mirror on the bar stock as well as you can, but it doesn’t have to be perfect. The mirror has to be larger than the hole you have to fill, as we’ll sand it down to size later. Do not remove the grey backing paint, as this will aid in removal of the glass from the bar stock later on.

Step 2: Chuck the bar / mirror assy into your hand drill.

Step 3: Lay out the emery paper on a hard, flat surface. The surface should be able to withstand some wetness, as we’re going to use water during this whole operation. I did mine on a piece of railroad rail I had machined flat to use as an anvil.

Step 4: Wet down the emery paper with water, and with the drill at a medium speed, sand down the mirror to the right diameter. This doesn’t take too long, but patience is the key here. If you use too coarse a grit of emery paper, the glass will be more prone to chip. Likewise, if you run the paper dry, the glass will be prone to chip also. Check your size often, as you don’t want to go too small. Try to hold the drill so the mirror is perpendicular to the emery paper, otherwise you will introduce a chamfer on the glass. This may be desirable, depending on the configuration of your master cylinder opening.
    Also, move the drill back and forth, and side to side as the glass will smooth out the emery paper. My emery paper was red, so when I had used up all the abrasive in a certain area, the water would turn reddish. Be sure not to run the glass off the edge of the emery paper; this will promote glass chipping. It all sounds much more complicated than it really is. Using the drill helps keep the glass round.

Step 5: Remove the mirror glass from the bar stock. I find that soaking it in acetone will soften the CA, but you’ll still have to pry with a razor blade to get it to let go. Be careful, though, because these craft mirrors are thin and fragile! I broke three trying to get them to let go. I attribute the grey backing paint of the mirror to my success on the 4th attempt. Remember how we never removed it from in step 1? This is why. Fortunately, the pack of mirrors you get from the craft store are cheap, and they come with many different sizes. And your wife might want to go shopping there with you!

Step 6: Clean off the protective grey paint by soaking and scrubbing with acetone. At this point you should have a round piece of glass with mirror coating on one side.

Step 7: How to clean off the mirror coating? Do not use a razor blade to scrape it off! At best you’ll get it off but scratch the glass. At worst you’ll peel off thin shavings of glass, and have to start over. Not to mention the risk of chipping the edges! And cutting yourself all up into pieces. There is an easier way, and this is where the oven cleaner (WITH Lye) comes in. This is nasty stuff, so wear protection (always good advice, right?) and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
    Spray a healthy dose onto the mirror coating and go clean up your watery emery paper mess. Come back in 5-10 minutes, and wipe the new sight glass with a rag. The mirror coating should be gone, and a crystal clear piece of glass should be staring you in the face. That’s what the lye does.

Step 8: Secure your new sight glass to the bezel with the 2 part epoxy. I used JB weld for two reasons – a) it will not react with brake fluid and – b) I had it on hand. I mixed it up and spooned it into the syringe. The syringe makes neat application possible. My bezel had a lip, so I laid a small bead around the inside of this lip and then laid the sight glass in. A little squeeze out is okay. Grab a small cup (yogurt cups work great) and fill it about ¼ with some more acetone. Dump in a bunch of cotton tipped applicators, and clean up the squeeze out. Since my glass was thinner than my bezel, I decided to lay a bead of JB on the other side of the glass as well, cleaning up the mess as before.
    Let the epoxy cure, and hey presto, you now have a new sight glass window!

My reservoir had a small o-ring inside, but since the glass is sealed to the bezel, I no longer need it. But I did need something to hold the internal baffle in place. I pulled out my trusty harbor freight O-ring assortment, found a suitable ring, and mashed it in there:

All that was left for me was to press the new glass / bezel assembly back into the reservoir and I was on my way. I don't have any pictures of the last few steps because the epoxy is curing right now as we speak, however, here is a pic of my 82 Kat reservoir I did last year using this same method:

Hopefully this will help anybody out there looking for a cheap, easy way to replace their sight glass.

Good luck and post up some pics of your success!
    Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2011, 01:06 AM.

Great! I have a good MC on my 85 750EF that is leaking a small amount of brake fluid.Been hoping to find a way to fix it.The "glass" is very soft.

Comment

Very nice tutorial! Thanks!

Note: For those who wish to purchase a repair kit, there is one offered at http://www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/sight%20glass.html

I have never tried it ... just posting the info (copied from another forum).
      2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
      1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
      2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
      s)

Comment

My epoxy is curing now,looks good so far:

Broke the first two because they where just a little to bigFound the silvering comes off with acetone and a green Scotch Brite scrubber

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          My epoxy is curing now,looks good so far:

Broke the first two because they where just a little to bigFound the silvering comes off with acetone and a green Scotch Brite scrubber
          You're right, patience isnt your thing lol. Already testing the method and done!

Comment

Good job, but my word, is that a LOT of work.

I have repaired a couple master cylinders by using some 1/8" Lexan from the window department at Lowe's. The sight glass had already been broken out, so I just cleaned up the ledge where it used to be. Cut the Lexan, grind it down to a circle just a little smaller than the outer hole (make sure it sits well on the ledge). Mix up some 5-minute epoxy, spread it around the ledge. Set the Lexan disc in the epoxy, spread some more epoxy around the edge to ensure a good seal. The epoxy claims to be set in 5 minutes, I wait for it overnight.

It's a lot less work and a LOT cheaper.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I'd have trimmed the firsrt one just a hair more It would have been great.It's really not as hard as it sounds.Got all the stuff for $5.00.Was only that much because I needed AC glue.

Comment

My main goal here was to have a glass sight glass, because I never want to have to do it again. I don't know how well lexan or acrylic will stand up to UV, or for that matter even the brake fluid. And I didn't want to buy a new reservoir/master cylinder. And because I'm really a tightwad, I didn't want to spend more than about 10 bucks. It worked in my favor because most of the materials I already had on hand.
                And it really isn't alot of work. I did 4 in one evening, managed to break 3 of them before I figured out how to separate them from the bar stock.
                I think your method, Steve, is about 2 steps less than mine. Whatever works, right?

SV Sooke,
                Looking great!
                Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 05:42 AM.

Comment

This is awesome stuff..great post!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Good job, but my word, is that a LOT of work.

I have repaired a couple master cylinders by using some 1/8" Lexan from the window department at Lowe's. The sight glass had already been broken out, so I just cleaned up the ledge where it used to be. Cut the Lexan, grind it down to a circle just a little smaller than the outer hole (make sure it sits well on the ledge). Mix up some 5-minute epoxy, spread it around the ledge. Set the Lexan disc in the epoxy, spread some more epoxy around the edge to ensure a good seal. The epoxy claims to be set in 5 minutes, I wait for it overnight.

It's a lot less work and a LOT cheaper.

Steve, how long ago did you do this and is the Lexan staying clear?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So here's the finished fruit of my labors - there is some reflection off the glass but overall it looks really nice.

Comment

Holy crap man that looks factory perfect.
                        I have to try that.

Comment

And here's mine:

I like it alot! Thanks Smokin!

Comment

Excellent Sooke! Glad to finally be able to say I was the helper, not the helpee!

So how was the overall experience? Too much work, too difficult to follow instructions, Smokins way out in left field?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                              Excellent Sooke! Glad to finally be able to say I was the helper, not the helpee!

So how was the overall experience? Too much work, too difficult to follow instructions, Smokins way out in left field?
                              I had some problems,mostly of my own making.Don't think I had the right emery cloth,could only get 80 grit locally.To high a speed on the drill gave me some nice ovalsI'm really not a very patient person.The glass has to slide easily bezel,most of mine where to tight.Your instructions where good.Problems where at this end.

Comment

Working...
                              X