Impact Driver Reversed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact Driver Reversed

Well, I did a search and didn't see anyone else with this problem, so I guess it's just me.

I was having a terrible time loosening some screws, even with the impact driver (Harbor Freight). Cut deep slots with the angle grinder and still would not break free. I don't remember what prompted me, but I decided to check the rotation of the driver by pushing it against a hard surface and watching which way it turned. Sure enough, it had reversed to the tightening direction. Changed it back and out they came.

On the Harbor Freight model, the direction is changed by pushing in and a 1/4 turn left or right. I recall at some point the driver had hung up when I was using it. That's when it must have reversed. I will check the rotation first before using it in the future.
    1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Youre not getting the best quality bits either with Harbor Freight Chinese stuff. I always push the driver down on a hard surface first to see which way its turning

Comment

My impact driver I bought from JC Whitney in the '60's. It reverses the same way. I haven't broken a bit yet, but I have one Phillips head almost worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
        Youre not getting the best quality bits either with Harbor Freight Chinese stuff. I always push the driver down on a hard surface first to see which way its turning
        You are certainly correct on the quality of the bits. It's only about a month old, and I can see some deforming in the phillips bit already. I hope I can find some better quality bits that will fit it.
        1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

I haven't had a problem with my HF driver but yea, the bit from that kit wore down within the first day I used it. Went back to Sears and bought their bits.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have snapped Snap On impact driver bits. Not from the wrong direction, just from force against an immovable object. Could be a symptom of not using the EXACT bit. They replace them. Sears and Canadian Tire bits snap too. I consider them all consumables(but at least they're warrantied.)

Comment

that's an easy mistake to make. best part is the screws came out once you figured what was wrong!

Comment

I have a HF impact wrench. The wrench is great. The bits are, um, garbage. Twisted the shyte out of the short phillips bit on one of the soft aluminum angled-head screws on the rail of a set of VM carbs. It's not usable now and that was the first time I used after I peeled the shrink wrap off of the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
                  You are certainly correct on the quality of the bits. It's only about a month old, and I can see some deforming in the phillips bit already. I hope I can find some better quality bits that will fit it.
                  stop a snap-on truck and buy the common bits you use, that is what I did, cost about 5 bucks for the bits but have had them for years
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Bits are a standard size on most of them.Every one I've had or seen changed direction the same way.Got to get bits for mine to

Comment

Working...
                    X