• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!

Comment

Is that just reflective tape?
      82 GS1100E
      five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
      Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Originally posted by 5azzmonkey View Post
        Is that just reflective tape?
        Yes. I know, it's a minor thing, but it's cheap and makes the helmet much more visible, especially at night. I was inspired by Aerostich's Arrow Head Lane Change Indicators:
        (http://www.aerostich.com/arrow-head-...ndicators.html)

I found this reflective tape at Home Depot for about $4:

(http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053)

Comment

Nicely done. I've been wondering about doing the same thing.

Years ago when I started riding the helmet manufacturers strongly warned against any aftermarket decals being applied. That, presumably, was due to the glues used in the decals reacting with the helmet and in some way that could compromise the shell.

It looks to me like that may not be a problem anymore, although there still might be some issues with some of the plastic-y helmets on the market. Here's a link to an older, short blurb on the issue:

Our expert guide to all the best motorcycle gear on sale, reviewed and rated by our team of industry-leading journalists.

That was the fruit of my 5 minutes in Google. I'd love to read more about it if anyone knows of a controlled study.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            Nicely done. I've been wondering about doing the same thing.

Years ago when I started riding the helmet manufacturers strongly warned against any aftermarket decals being applied. That, presumably, was due to the glues used in the decals reacting with the helmet and in some way that could compromise the shell.

It looks to me like that may not be a problem anymore, although there still might be some issues with some of the plastic-y helmets on the market. Here's a link to an older, short blurb on the issue:

Our expert guide to all the best motorcycle gear on sale, reviewed and rated by our team of industry-leading journalists.

That was the fruit of my 5 minutes in Google. I'd love to read more about it if anyone knows of a controlled study.
            I have a hard time believing that a sticker will degrade the plastic on my helmet, barring any scientific study to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
              Yes. I know, it's a minor thing, but it's cheap and makes the helmet much more visible, especially at night. I was inspired by Aerostich's Arrow Head Lane Change Indicators:
              (http://www.aerostich.com/arrow-head-...ndicators.html)

I found this reflective tape at Home Depot for about $4:

(http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053)

Did you have any problems getting it to fit the compound curves on the helmet ?

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                Did you have any problems getting it to fit the compound curves on the helmet ?
                I messed it up a little on top of the helmet, so there are some bumps. I don't really care; the point is to make me more visible at night, and I think it accomplishes that

Comment

Good idea on the helmet,used that reflective tape on my skunk for the white stripe.Really pops at night.Put a small strip on the turn signal stalk also.

1978 GS1000C
                  1979 GS1000E
                  1980 GS1000E
                  2004 Roadstar

Comment

I did a similar thing on my helmet several years ago.

Started with a black full-face helmet. My Wing is basically blue and chrome (see picture in my sig), so I added blue and white stripes to the helmet.

Yeah, they are both reflective, too.

My next helmet will likely also be black, but will have two yellow stripes to match the two gold strips on "Junior".

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good helmet mod...I had done the same thing a few weeks back when I got my new helmet. I prefer the white helmet for visibility, but used the 3M reflective tape cut into squares and then in half to make triangles for a little decoration. The pic shows a couple as yellow but they do glow red, and you can see some pieces I put on the bikes too.

Comment

Working...
                      X