Gear ratio Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear ratio Application

I found this to be one heck of an awesome tool. Maybe you all know about this maybe not but I found this to be a deadly accurate guideline for playing with sprocket sizes for my bike. I have an 81 550M and threw a 42T sprocket on it because I liked the stats this chart showed and it is to the "T" on what I am seeing with the sprocket. I had a 50T rear 15T front and now after switching to the 42T I have absolutely no bog, and a huge power band. call me stupid if you'd like but I will never change to the 50T again. Even on hills I dont have to dropshift, I still have torque to accel and my. My buddys 2010 Sportster dont have crap on my 30 year old GS550 as we found out today with the gearing swap.

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2011, 01:21 AM.

I've seen that site before and it really is a fantastic resource. So many calculations in one place...

What did you end up with for your front sprocket?

My bike came with a (thanks, PO) 14T front/43T rear (3.07 ratio) and I hate it! It's most noticeable at take offs from dead stop as I really have to feather the clutch to take off smoothly. I was going to switch to a 13T front to get me to a close-to-stock 3.30 but now *you* got me thinking of going down to a 3.58 or something when I can afford swap them both out (they don't seem to make a 12T front in a 530; probably getting too small).

Comment

Originally posted by kcorbin View Post
      I've seen that site before and it really is a fantastic resource. So many calculations in one place...

What did you end up with for your front sprocket?

My bike came with a (thanks, PO) 14T front/43T rear (3.07 ratio) and I hate it! It's most noticeable at take offs from dead stop as I really have to feather the clutch to take off smoothly. I was going to switch to a 13T front to get me to a close-to-stock 3.30 but now *you* got me thinking of going down to a 3.58 or something when I can afford swap them both out (they don't seem to make a 12T front in a 530; probably getting too small).
      I went with 15 in the front and 42 in the rear as opposed to a 50. The bike is much quicker and holds a larger powerband, higher top end by 30mph. and I still redline the gears. I dont know how fast I am going since the gauge stops at 85mph. But half way through 3rd gear ( I have a 6 gear trans) the needle is already buried and this is in 6 seconds maybe 8 tops.

Comment

Interestingly, I figured out that my problem with no take-off power was not my lower gear ratio as I was originally thinking.

As I've been riding it around more and more I finally noticed that once I would open up the throttle about 1/4-1/3 it would really bolt. Then the light bulb turned on: that's when the needle jet starts taking over from the pilot circuit.

I had never noticed it before because the clutch has always been kinda grabby and I figured the jerking was just a result of that as I'm trying to ease off the clutch and open the throttle at the same time to make a smooth start.

So, I opened up my pilot fuel screws (the ones on the bottom of the carb bodies; I have the VM carbs with both the pilot fuel and air screws) about 1/8 turn and then re-adjusted my air screws for best idle again.

I went for a test ride around the block and man, what a difference! Take offs were nice and smooth with very little throttle necessary and no fear of bogging/killing the engine. Eventually I'll take the time to do some low speed plug chops to fine tune each cylinder, but for now I'll just enjoy the improved riding!

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
        X