New use for dykes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New use for dykes

After years of trial and error experimentation, diagonal cutters ("dykes") are the best tool in my toolbox for opening beer bottles. (other than an actual bottle opener!)

Originally posted by Ajay View Post
    After years of trial and error experimentation, diagonal cutters ("dykes") are the best tool in my toolbox for opening beer bottles. (other than an actual bottle opener!)

This forum must surely have a bartender who keeps a dyke or two standing at the ready for such purposes....
    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Not what I thought this thread was going to be about.......

Comment

I find the butt of my Bravo1charley heat shrink tool to be good enough

Comment

I have never seen 'dykes' and 'standing at the ready' used together in a sentence before. I just got confused, is all.

Comment

You guys need tools to open beer, ........what's the world coming to.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

diagonal cutters ("dykes") are the best tool in my toolbox for opening beer bottles.
              Awesome. Added to the on going list.

87. Nail puller

88. Plucking nose hairs

89. Toe nail cutter

90. Opening beer bottles

91. .....
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                You guys need tools to open beer, ........what's the world coming to.
                Some of the better beers don't come with screw caps!

Seriously, dykes are the best tool for this. You should try it!

Comment

While I'm thinking of it, a funny story....

About 20 years ago I was at a large conference in Boston. There was a reception the first evening. I think you got two tickets for beer or wine. Anyway, three or four Germans were trying to figure out how to open the bottles of budweiser they had been given. I smiled and held out my hand to help. The gentleman handed his bottle to me. I grasped the cap firmly in my hand and then pretended to bite off the cap with my teeth as I twisted off the screw cap. Their eyes went wide as I did this. I repeated it with the next bottle to exclamations from the Germans. This time I pointed out the screw threads and twisted off the cap of the third bottle.

Now if they had only brought a pair of dykes with them!

Comment

Some of the better beers don't come with screw caps!

Seriously, dykes are the best tool for this. You should try it!
                    Unless you're completely naked on a beach full of sand with your last beer there's always a way to get into the damn thing without tools or bodily parts.

Dykes could be handy though.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I pop caps off with anything that has an edge on it. That would be Mexican Cokes and sodas in my case. Just get up under the edge of the cap and pop it off.

Comment

I often use a BIC lighter to open beers. I can also see how a pair of dykes could come in handy.
                        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
                          Bravo1Charlie
                          Originally posted by gbw View Post
                          I often use a BIC lighter to open beers. I can also see how a pair of dykes could come in handy.
                          Lengthened to at least 10 characters

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            Unless you're completely naked on a beach full of sand with your last beer there's always a way to get into the damn thing without tools or bodily parts.

Dykes could be handy though.
                            He speaks the truth. I've seen him do it.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I keep waiting for someone to try this and confirm my amazing discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              X