Anyone managed to install...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone managed to install...

A Bandit 1250 or Busa 1334 motor into a GS frame?
    Thinking about putting the '83 1100E back on the road correctly.

Daniel

That feller from Wales did a build with a Bandit engine (a 1250 engine would have been to new probably though). He had the word 'dragon' in his forum name is all I can recall.

And I think Tone had several builds of this kind. He hasn't been around for a while though.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Why ask?

You know you're gonna do it anyway.......

Especially if they say it cain't be done.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
        Why ask?

You know you're gonna do it anyway.......

Especially if they say it cain't be done.

You KNOW me too well my friend.

I never even told you about the 429 in my '71 Chevelle.
        That was almost 28 years ago. The Chevy guys didn't take it very well.

Daniel
        Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Well there was this guy who put a GSXR mill into his GS750E. Ended up with a sweet looking bike.

And then this guy asked the same question. With some follow up answers

The guy in wales I can't find his thread. Pretty sure his bike had that yellow frame and Rizla paint scheme.....

I say go for it. And post pics!

Comment

Thank you again, Tim Tom!
            First with the photochop for Goldy and now this.
            It looks like there is TONS of room to get one in there!
            As I will be using the 1100E motor in the Cooley, I am going to be needing a power plant for the 4V-E now.

Thanks again for the HELP.
            Like so many others, I can never get the search function on this site to cooperate.

Daniel

Comment

Bah, no biggie. Just a little positive procrastination on my part. I mean whats really more important, a final project due on monday worth half of my semster grade or whether its possible to swap out an old air cooled 4 for a bigger, more powerful, water cooled four. I mean come on, how is that even a question?!

Good luck with the swap!

Comment

When you get it done, let us know how hard it was and the mods you had to make! My GS has been a lawn ornament since I got my brothers R1...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                  The guy in wales I can't find his thread. Pretty sure his bike had that yellow frame and Rizla paint scheme.....

All by it's ownsome the thread has returned! Reddragon posted up some pics of his finished bike with the bandit 6 motor swap.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

I knew i wasn't going crazy

Comment

The thing is going to be tricky with a 1250 swap or a 1334 is both of those motors are Water cooled and use FI. The 1200's (which are a true 1157) is based off the old GSX-R 1100 and 750 oil cooled mills. I would imagine one of those motors would swap easier then a 1250 or 1334. I know the 1250 has a longer stroke than the older 1200 so the engine is taller. Don't know much about the 1334...
                    I'm sure if you throw enough money and time at it it will work... However might be easier to buy a newer 1250S
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      The thing is going to be tricky with a 1250 swap or a 1334 is both of those motors are Water cooled and use FI.

Well thats the point of the swap. To go from an air cooled carb motor to liquid cooled FI. I don't think this is the main issue, you simply swap all the cooling hoses and radiators, and the FI system along with the engine.

Engine mounting points, vibration damnping, frame fitment issues thats the larger problem here. There is no way that it'll be a straight bolt on, however you simply look at the engine next to the frame and figure out what mounts need to be changes and fabricated, then you go from there.

How hard can it be?

Comment

I know I looked into doing a 1200 bandit engine swap into my GS750 a long time back... However the frame was too small for how the tall engine was and the biggest i could get in there was a motor from a GS1100. I ended up forgetting a swap entirely and bought my 1200S. The whole bike as one is far better then an old 80's bike with a younger monster of an engine in it... At least that was my judgment. Brakes, suspension, tires frame... All have to be adjusted for the added HP and torque this new motor is going to produce..

I fear you might run into the same problem with trying to stuff a 1250 or 1300 in an 1100...

I did pull up this info which might be helpful in your swap..

B-1200 Bore&Stroke 79mmX58mm- total displacement 1157cc
                        Motor is based off the 86-89 GSX-R 1100 Mills

B-1250 Bore&Stroke 79mmX64mm- total displacement 1255cc
                        Motor and frame is a whole new design as of 2007.

I posted these pictures to show how much taller that 1250 motor is compared to the 1200. I know a 1250 will not fit into the 1200 frame without frame modification....

Even the Hyabusa has an even taller stroke of 65mm... That might not fit either without major frame surgery...

I think you'll need to modify the frame to fit these taller engines into it... I'm not sure how much space an 1100 has for room. I would also strongly urge into upgrading braking and suspension components!
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I know this is obvious to everyone but just in case...

The engine is a structural member in these designs and so changing to one which has a different shape will affect frame physics. If you are a "drag racer" rider who just accelerates rapidly in a straight line through lower speeds, this is less likely to be an issue since any adverse characteristics are likely to be controllable through experience and repetition.

If you intend to push the machine at high rate through corners, even a small flexing or oscillation could well prove to be fatal. Unfortunately modified frames and suspensions can put someone into the "Wright Brothers mode" where one needs to discover problems while immediately adopting the correct technique.

I don't see how one could reasonably certify such a modification as road worthy but this doesn't mean that I am correct. Why not simply find a Bandit which is as designed? This is a genuine question, not a put down.

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
                            I know this is obvious to everyone but just in case...

The engine is a structural member in these designs and so changing to one which has a different shape will affect frame physics. If you are a "drag racer" rider who just accelerates rapidly in a straight line through lower speeds, this is less likely to be an issue since any adverse characteristics are likely to be controllable through experience and repetition.

If you intend to push the machine at high rate through corners, even a small flexing or oscillation could well prove to be fatal. Unfortunately modified frames and suspensions can put someone into the "Wright Brothers mode" where one needs to discover problems while immediately adopting the correct technique.

I don't see how one could reasonably certify such a modification as road worthy but this doesn't mean that I am correct. Why not simply find a Bandit which is as designed? This is a genuine question, not a put down.

The concept of using the engine as a structural component is to reduce weight by lightening the frame. That was not in play when our GS's were made. Later designes that use this concept make the engine stronger in order to take extra stresses that the lighter frame transferes to it. Therefore putting a stronger engine into a stronger frame is an improvement to stability, not a safety concern. As long as it is done right.

On the other hand updating the suspention and brakes is more important to focus on as the increase of HP will cause more extreme stresses on them.

Comment

Look what I got... TODAY!!!
                              I was picking up some GS1100E parts in Sacto and happened to mention
                              my idea of making a Bandit engine fit into one of these frames to the young man.
                              Well, he had already done it! Only with a 600 Bandit engine.
                              So, he offered me the mounts that he had made for it!!!!
                              Naturally, I said YES!!!
                              Here they are!

GOD, has been VERY nice to me this month!

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X