Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trussing up a twosome in a truck. How do you lash two bikes down for a 500 mile trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trussing up a twosome in a truck. How do you lash two bikes down for a 500 mile trip

I am heading out sometime this week and plan to pick up two bikes.

I have ratchet tie-downs enough and can easily buy more but I cannot get my head around securing both bikes corner to corner.

I figure both on centre stand and lifted forward to meet the front wall of the bed.

Front ends cocked to extreme right or left then locked?

I have a hard time visualizing things and am not a sailor or boy scout so rigging stuff is hard for me.

When ever I have mine transported { which is unfortunately twice this year, BCAA } They have put the bike on the side stand, Left side of the box, wheel up against cab. and rear wheel chocked. Then strapped the left side, with 2 straps, one leading forward, and one aft. like the spring lines on a ship, then one across the box. However 2 bikes I have never seen. Is one of the bikes that nice GPZ 550 ?
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
      When ever I have mine transported { which is unfortunately twice this year, BCAA } They have put the bike on the side stand, Left side of the box, wheel up against cab. and rear wheel chocked. Then strapped the left side, with 2 straps, one leading forward, and one aft. like the spring lines on a ship, then one across the box. However 2 bikes I have never seen. Is one of the bikes that nice GPZ 550 ?
      Nope 550 is gone
      madura and a 550 from pousseux

Comment

In my last move, I trucked my 1150 and my old 750T from Rochester to Boston.

I used ratchet straps to tie them together by the handlebars and rear frames, and then tied more straps to the four corners and tightened them all together a little at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          Nope 550 is gone
          madura and a 550 from pousseux
          That's too bad. That 550 was sweet. I've been looking at a Kaw too. But I think its a little overpriced, $2400 with 60,000 kliks. Also that seat doesn't look very comfortable.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

A couple of ratchet straps on the front works great.My buddy does it this way and I seen it on TV as well as a magazine write up.

Comment

I have found putting bikes on the center stand in the truck makes them too unstable. Just ratchet the fronts down and throw one through the rear wheel for stabilization but leave them off the center.

Enjoy.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                I have found putting bikes on the center stand in the truck makes them too unstable. Just ratchet the fronts down and throw one through the rear wheel for stabilization but leave them off the center.

Enjoy.
                I agree with Scott. Compress the forks almost all the way and NO centerstand. The rear won't move around unless you travel on rough pavement, in which case one strap should do.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You do have an anchor point in the center of the bed, don't you?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nope no center point.

God Chevrolet sucks. No industry standard hitch points and all.
                    They glow all over the bed liner but make no reference as to how useless it makes as a cargo carrier.

Oh and happy new year y'all I just got back and I swear that 19 yr old girl was leaving with me cept for here weasly boyfriend.

Comment

Got to hate those weasly boyfriends.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

One in the bed, and one on the hood!

Comment

I tend to just ratchet the front down from the handle bars, it just gets a bit goofy crossing straps so you have to envision how the straps will move when tightened. I weave one strap across the backs in the even an evasive move becomes necessary on the trip.

Here is a loading photo for fun, now I have a ready ramp.
                          Hondas
                          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                          Suzuki
                          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                          Kaw
                          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X