Installing a gs550 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a gs550 motor

I have a 1979 gs550 is there any way to put the motor in,or any secrets. THANKS

Some people like to lay the motor on its side and lay the bike over on top of it then bolt it in. Me personally I set up a crate next to my bike and set the motor on the crate. Works out about the height it will be in the bike . Then just lift the motor and wiggle it in . If its too heavy for you have a friend help and it should be a piece of cake then. Bolt her in , Done.
    1978 GS550 E
    673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
    New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
    for playing in the dirt

Comment

Put the bike up on its center stand, place the engine next to the frame at an elevation that just clears the frame tubes,
      place a floor jack with a 2 X 8 on it under the engine compartment, walk the engine over by rocking it and lower the floor jack as you install the motor mount bolts.
      One person can do it easily.

Daniel

Comment

Thats the way to do it, Thanks alot

Comment

Daniel's technique is the way to go - nicely controlled, no back-breaking lifting etc. A couple of added things I do though - Daniel has got the valve cover on there; I usually put that on afterwards as you get a bit of extra clearance with it off. Plus if I have painted the frame I wrap it up with cardboard to avoid the risk of scratching.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I just pick it up, but I lift properly and have a good back, lol.

Or I'd use a remote winch bolted to the ceiling.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X