Fuel Line Foreplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Line Foreplay

Here is a minor tip for connecting a new fuel line.

I picked up a decent length of clear fuel line tubing from Z1. IIRC it's ID 1/4" and OD 7/16." So it's a pretty snug fit on the carb port and the petcock, and it has a nice thick wall.

Even softened with some fuel, it is still a bit tough to attach a fresh line end to the bike. Soon the line end forms around the nipple, making it easier to remove and reconnect, but starting a new line end can be a PITA.

To help with stretching out the tip of the line to better fit the nipple, I started using an 8mm bolt to "prime" the tip of the line. The tank mounting bolt works well here, as it's already handy since you probably just pulled the tank or will next reinstall it.

Just twist the bolt about 3/8" into the end of the fuel line and then back it out. The bolt will gently thread some ribbing (for her pleasure) into the end of the line and stretch it just enough to make the connection. The newly expanded line still fits very snugly to the nipple, but it's far easier to wrestle the line into place.

Good plan.

I use a touch of heat from my electric paint stripper gun ( very useful for softening carb boots) and or needlenose pliers. Insert the tip of the needlenose into the hose and open the pliers to stretch the plastic.

Once on the nipple and when it cools it conforms to the shape and stays tight.

Thanks for sharing.

Spyug

Comment

Yup a little lube and warm up go a long way to getting it on

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
        Yup a little lube and warm up go a long way to getting it on
        In a pinch on the side of the road, however, you can just screw it in dry . . .

Comment

Even better fuel line tip:

Get the proper stuff from Suzuki. It pushes on with no problems and doesn't even need a clamp.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Get the proper stuff from Suzuki. It pushes on with no problems and doesn't even need a clamp.

What? Use the correct metric sized hose?
            It's too easy, what fun is that?
            Much better to struggle with the wrong stuff and catch fire when it leaks or falls off.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Actually, the parts fiche shows the OEM fuel lines attached with a clip.

According to Part Shark, that fuel line costs $16 for what appears to be a 10 inch (240mm) length of hose. Another part of the description hints that it is 2000mm or about 6.5 feet of hose, which would be not as terrible for $16.

Not sure if it is clear or black rubber. I prefer clear fuel lines to look for crud, fuel flow, bubbles, etc.

Z1 sells the 1/4" clear line for $1.00 a foot.

I'd be interested in some OEM 7mm tubing though. My vacuum line is the same one that came with the bike. Dunno if it's OEM, but it is a thin walled 7mm tube that is much easier to pop on and off.

Got a good source for that line?

Comment

The local independent Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW, or any other European car repair shop will sell fuel and vacuum lines in all of the correct sizes for your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  The local independent Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW, or any other European car repair shop will sell fuel and vacuum lines in all of the correct sizes for your bike.
                  My local Suzi shop wants 13 bucks for the OEM fuel line. Never thought of a car dealership. Good tip.
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Watch out, if the vacuum line is too thick-walled, it won't fit on the carburetor nipple.

Get the thin wall stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                      Actually, the parts fiche shows the OEM fuel lines attached with a clip.

According to Part Shark, that fuel line costs $16 for what appears to be a 10 inch (240mm) length of hose. Another part of the description hints that it is 2000mm or about 6.5 feet of hose, which would be not as terrible for $16.

Not sure if it is clear or black rubber. I prefer clear fuel lines to look for crud, fuel flow, bubbles, etc.

Z1 sells the 1/4" clear line for $1.00 a foot.

I'd be interested in some OEM 7mm tubing though. My vacuum line is the same one that came with the bike. Dunno if it's OEM, but it is a thin walled 7mm tube that is much easier to pop on and off.

Got a good source for that line?
                      Note that it is a "clip", not a "clamp".

Yes, the price is about right, but you do get about 6 feet of hose for that price.

It is black rubber. Works great. Don't put crud in your tank, you won't have to look for it.
                      Bubbles only happen when you are out of gas.
                      Can't see gas flowing unless there are impurities in it.

The vacuum line for the petcock is smaller than 7mm, it lists as 4.5mm.
                      For the record, the vent lines are 6mm.

Good source? You already mentioned Part Shark. Any of the vendors mentioned in BassCliff's "Welcome" package will do just fine. My personal favorite (most of the time) is G&S Suzuki.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Roger on the vacuum line sizing. I've never changed mine, so I was guessing at the size.

I don't use vent lines with pods on. The lines have nowhere to go, and several posters here suggested losing them altogether. So far, so good.

Note that it is a "clip", not a "clamp".

It is black rubber. Works great. Don't put crud in your tank, you won't have to look for it.
                        Bubbles only happen when you are out of gas.
                        Can't see gas flowing unless there are impurities in it.

Even without "putting crud" in the tank, I like to keep an eye on the fuel line, especially when priming the carbs. That helps me time the flow to cut it off if I am just loading the bowls, etc. The first gush of fuel will reveal those impurities (despite the lack of crud injections) that might have settled into the bottom of the tank. Seeing bubbles when the bike starts acting wonky can reassure me that I just need to flip to reserve (no fuel gauge on my bike).

So, I'll stick with clear tubing for fuel.

I may check out some 7mm and 4.5mm clear tubing for replacement lines though.

Comment

Gosh I wish I had read this yesterday when I replaced my fuel line. These are great tips.

Comment

Working...
                          X