Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Lock question

Hey guys,

went through my owners manual and it doesn't actually mention HOW to lock the steering. Any advice of how to lock and then how to unlock?

Massive noob question i know, and i apologise in advance if its already been answered...

try pushing down slightly as you turn the key all the way to the left. The wheel has to be turned all the way to the left also.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wheel can actually be turned either direction, but it's more stable when turned to the left.

As Chuck mentioned, when the wheel is turned, push down just a bit on the key, turn it to the LEFT to lock. If you turn it to the right, the position marked PARK, your tail light will also be turned on and your battery will be dead in about half an hour.

To unlock, make sure the forks are not binding on the lock pin (just like rocking the steering wheel in your car), then turn the key to the OFF position.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks guys! will let you know how i go!

Comment

I wouldn't use it, if I were you.
          Myself and other members on this forum have had the steering lock fail in the locked position.
          The only option then is to remove the ignition and replace it...
          If you are far from home, (like I was), then you need to remove the ignition, remove the switch from the bottom and manually turn it, or hot wire the bike.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            I wouldn't use it, if I were you.
            Myself and other members on this forum have had the steering lock fail in the locked position.
            The only option then is to remove the ignition and replace it...
            If you are far from home, (like I was), then you need to remove the ignition, remove the switch from the bottom and manually turn it, or hot wire the bike.
            Really? This is the first I've heard of this. I've been riding GSs for 23 years and this is news to me.
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
              Really? This is the first I've heard of this. I've been riding GSs for 23 years and this is news to me.
              It was quite a sight. I took pictures, but can't find them right now. They basically had the instrument cluster and headlight shell stripped so they could get to the ignition switch and do a semi-hot wire job so he could ride it home. It might have been humorous had it not been so far from home and on a GSR rally.
              I read some sort of semi-official reason, something about tumbler wear and key wear, but did not pay full attention to the post.
              I will never use mine again. Actually, I never tried mine on the GS and I will never try it on the GPz. If thieves want a bike they will take it, and they are looking for new sport or cruiser bikes, not some 30 year old bike that would be difficult to move.

Comment

Working...
              X