Mirror extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror extensions

I said the other day I wasn't going to do anymore wrenching this season other than doing the SS brake line upgrade and the coil relay mod. I did the brake line upgrade yesterday and was planning on doing the coil relay sometime next week. The plan was to go riding this morning but rain put paid to that. The rain is long overdue so I couldn't get too annoyed about it.

Yesterday on my brake test ride ( which was my first real ride on the bike) I noticed the mirrors are dang near useless as all I can see are my arms and shoulders. Nothing new as I have noticed the same thing on every Zuk I've sat on. With the 750 I fabbed up some extenders and I figured I'd better make up some for this bike sooner rather than later and this wet morning seemed ideal for it.

So I got out my trusty slab of delrin ( a type of nylon) and cut out two strips about 1" wide by 4" by 7/16". I then cut an inch off each and using plumber's epoxy putty glued them to one end. This will serve to allow the extension to clear the controls when fitted to the perches. Once the putty hardened I drilled an 11/32" centered hole through the thicker part and one hole at the other end which is where the mirror stalk will be threaded. I then tapped all the holes with an M10 x 1.25 tap ( the thread pitch of the perch.

I sanded the extensions on my bench mounted belt sander ( the second best tool in the shop after a bench mount grinder/ wire wheel IMHO) to a pleasing shape and will paint them black when I pick up some plasticote tomorrow.

So mounted to the perches with a 1.5" long M10x1.25 cap bolt the extensions push the mirrors out about 2 inches and allows the mirrors to be positioned so you can see directly behind you to within about 8 to 10 feet or less.

Here's what I came up with:

And test fitted:

They are not the prettiest things but they did work very well on my 750. I used delrin as it is easy to work and what I have on hand. I would think any rigid plastic or nylon derivative could be used but the cat's azz would ,of course, be billet aluminum.

Hope this helps anyone with a mirror problem that want's to continue using the stock mirrors.

Cheers all,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM.

Longer stemmed mirrors can be had very cheaply and with much less effort.
    Good on ya for finding a solution that works for you.

Eric

Comment

I put these on my GS650G today. https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-mirror-extensions​ I like the look. I’m waiting for my speedo and tach to arrive from the rebuilder before I can ride to check the mirrors.

IMG_2538.jpg
      Last edited by Admiral Beez; 05-19-2023, 08:20 PM.
      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Looks like they stole the idea from the guy who started this thread. Hoping they work for you.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I think they look like a better way of making them. The step wasn't needed. Longer mirrors, or the original O.E.M. mirrors always worked great for me, and I have broad shoulders. My Suzuki fell over, and broke one of my Mirrors. Impossible to get, the imitation ones vibrate, the stock ones never buzzed. I've found some that work great, but within a year, half of the mirror backing was ruined, now looking for O.E.M.'s on EBAY.

Comment

Working...
          X