DIY Remote Fuel Tank for under $10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Remote Fuel Tank for under $10

I got really tired of trying to do various adjustments with the tank on, so I decided to make my own remote fuel source with some stuff I had laying around. Everything can be bought at Ace for under $10 if you don't have these things.

Thought I'd share.

Drill out a fill hole on the bottom that is smaller in diameter than your rubber plug. You want the plug to fit tightly so you can set it upright when you fill it. Then just take the plug out while your using it so a vacuum doesn't build up.

I put in an old valve just because I had it...

And Voila!

Arm hair sold separately.

Did you use both o-rings in your setup?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Did you use both o-rings in your setup?
      Yeah just one on each side of the cap around the threaded barb so it would seal it up.

The lamp nut helps to squish them together.

Update: I also used the thick walled ones so there would be a bit more to squish and seal.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2012, 01:02 AM.

Comment

It looks to be a decent setup. I'd be concerned about gas affecting the plastic in the bottle, and I'd try to get the wide side of the barbed connector a little lower so, but it's definitely doable. Are you using Teflon tape on the bottle threads as well?

I'm actually having issues with gas softening up the connectors on my in-line (plastic) fuel filters. I was concerned enough to pull the filter off my 650 last night, lest it break sending gas onto a hot engine. I'm not sure, but it could be an ethanol issue.

Thanks for posting.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It looks to be a decent setup. I'd be concerned about gas affecting the plastic in the bottle, and I'd try to get the wide side of the barbed connector a little lower so, but it's definitely doable. Are you using Teflon tape on the bottle threads as well?

I'm actually having issues with gas softening up the connectors on my in-line (plastic) fuel filters. I was concerned enough to pull the filter off my 650 last night, lest it break sending gas onto a hot engine. I'm not sure, but it could be an ethanol issue.

Thanks for posting.
          No I didn't just because I figured it wouldn't last with use you know?

I thought about going with a brass fitting but I didn't have any around.

I just use those little spring loaded clamps everywhere I can, even on tight connections.

Comment

That was cool! Nice idea.

Comment

Thanks for posting.
              I just had to replace o-rind=gs on the float seats and furl lines that run between the bowls on my RS flatslides. The lines between the accelerator pump nozzles had softened and swollen. The fuel line got a shiny look to it and became spongy. I've been using Startron and marine Stabil to help but the ethanol finally got to them.

Comment

I use the fuel tank from my snowblower.
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

That looks like a good setup !
                  I made one out of a truck radiator over flow tank , 6 feet of fuel line and a lawn tractor fuel shut off valve, works slick.

Comment

Heres mine..universal aux resiviour tank from auto parts store, a length of reinforced fuel line, and an old small engine shut off valve i had laying around. double barbed brass end for connecting to carb fuel line.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

FrankZ...If you read this, post up a picture or two of that IV style stand you made for yours with the tank hanging on it. Very clever idea from just a few scraps of wood.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                        I use the fuel tank from my snowblower.
                        Yes, that's what I've been using as well with an in-line shutoff valve.

hjacobmiller - Nice work!!!!
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I use an old snowblower gas tank

Comment

Nice work, I will just second the caution to be careful with the plastic jug.

Unless the plastic in the jug is specifically made to hold gas, it may not last long.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Definitely.

I actually tried something else that seemed to work pretty well also.

I set my tank on a sawhorse, got some 2x4s to put under 1 side of it so it is at the same angle as on the bike.

Ran a long piece of fuel line and a long vacuum line that I had laying around, set the petcock to prime to get the gas flowing then switched it back to run and seemed to work fine.

A couple more hoses to work around but a little more reliable than having a fuel bomb hanging around your head the whole time you work

Comment

Working...
                              X