Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a different key for each lock ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a different key for each lock ?

Just saw this article in Practical Sport Bike. Thought I'd pass it along.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Good information, thanks for posting it.

Not quite "one for each lock", I do have three keys for my bike.
    One for all the original 850 stuff (ignition, gas cap, seat) and a second one for all the GK luggage.
    A third, smaller, key does the pockets in the fairing.

Even if I change the bike locks to match the luggage key, I will still have the smaller one for the fairing,
    so it's not worth the effort to reduce from three keys to two.
    Now, if it would go down to ONE key, I'd be all over it.

Wife's bike uses one Suzuki key for all the bike stuff, a smaller one for the trunk locks.

#1 son's 650L has one key for ignition, another for gas cap and seat.

#2 son's 850 has one key. His 1000 has one key for the bike, a second key for all the Vetter equipment (not shown in the picture in my sig).

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not a big point, but filing these things can also make the lock more vulnerable to picking.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'm thinking about trying it on my '78 GS1000's ignition switch to match the seat lock and gas cap. I don't think we really need to worry about people picking our locks and stealing our bikes.

Comment

This is exactly what I did 3 years ago. I have two keys now for 12 locks on the GS. 1 for helmet lock, ignition, gas cap and the seat and 1 for the other 8.

Another thing that you can do is to cut two different keys on one blank if the blank is the same size for all locks.

Comment

Another option?

Another option you can consider....

Our GS locks only use one side of the key to funtion. If you have 2 different Suzuki locks, simply cut one side to the first key, and the other side to the second key. Presto - one key! (This will work for the GK locks as well.)
            Scott
            1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
            1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
            1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
            2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
              Does that really work...
              YES!

...the hard part is finding someone qualified to cut the keys with the extra plastic at the head of the key - at $8-10 a blank, I've lost my patience with the morons at Ace, Home Depot, Lowes...
              Scott
              1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
              1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
              1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
              2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
              sigpic

Comment

I believe this works, but you must turn the key around for each lock ? I get blanks from local locksmith for $2.50, but they don't have the plastic. Genuine Suzuki blanks from my dealership 16 bucks ! Highway robbery.
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                X