Larger tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger tires

Instead of 90/90-19 tires for my gs650gl could I buy a 100/90-19...would it fit on the rim.. And could you put a bigger tire on the rear like a 140/90-16 instead of a 130/90-16?

yup.....

but be careful, the majority will say and tell you it's no good for handling...and one should stick with the stock setup...

I went up one size front and back and found no issues on my 750E

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey650 View Post
      Instead of 90/90-19 tires for my gs650gl could I buy a 100/90-19...would it fit on the rim.. And could you put a bigger tire on the rear like a 140/90-16 instead of a 130/90-16?
      FWIW, this has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, in both the new and old tech forums.

The GS-information world is an oyster in your palm if you know how to use the search feature.

Comment

I wouldn't change either; on the rear, there is little clearance with swingarm, if the tire were to flex while cornering and hitting a bump, fun could ensue.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

On all of our bikes (and one of them is a 650GL), we run 100/90-19 tires on the front. Yes, it gets a bit close to the fender, but it fits AND it virtually eliminates the typical speedometer error.

However, on the rear, the wheel is not really wide enough to properly support a 140, and, like tom203 mentioned, there really isn't much clearance to the swingarm.

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE, I can say that one size up on the front works, but leave the rear stock.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
            The GS-information world is an oyster in your palm if you know how to use the search feature.
            Awesome quote!

I've had good luck searching by toggling "advanced search", then using the "Titles Only" function. You still need to sift though lots of hits, but it's easy to see what the thread was about this way.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
              Awesome quote!

I've had good luck searching by toggling "advanced search", then using the "Titles Only" function. You still need to sift though lots of hits, but it's easy to see what the thread was about this way.
              Yes, and it would work even better if thread starters would use descriptive titles.

How many times have we seen titles like "Need help" or "78 750"? Makes it hard to want to look at either of those, because I don't know, without further looking to see what sub-forum it's in, whether they are looking for psychiatric help, help with their Buick or maybe even a bike. Since we now have a couple of "other" forums, that bike might be a Honda. If we are really lucky, the "help" they need might involve a GS, but it would still be nice to know which one and what the problem area is.

Personally, I might click on the "78 750" thread, but it would be on the second (or third) go-around, after I have checked all the other threads that piqued my interest. Why? There are several things about a '78 750 with which I have little experience, like VM carbs, spoked wheels, chain drive, points, different turn signal flasher. Put up a post about "78 750 brakes", I might be able to offer something because the brakes are remarkably similar, although not identical.

It only takes a few seconds more to add a few more words to the title, and it would make searches so much more meaningful.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the 100 on mine and it works fine. I never used a 90 so I can't give you a comparison on handling.

Comment

Working...
                X