No announcement yet.

My homemade cycle lift table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can add another lock at the back. Or make some chocks that will fit between the top and bottom and set them in before lowering to take up some pressure off the back end.

Yeah I got a hard head...specially since its right here in front of me and you guys are grasping at straws because you cant actually SEE how it works. I don't have an engineering degree..but then again most folks I know with degrees are dumb as stumps anyways. Got book learning and not a bit of practical experience to go along with it.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      How much is it going to take go split the end grain.
      That depends on the species of wood, it's moisture content, the woods dimensions and the direction the force is applied in relationship to the grain.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 09-17-2013, 09:31 AM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        I can add another lock at the back.
        It's not a question off adding another another lock, it's a question of your locks placement. The way that it is now the front struts are under tension (being pulled apart). If you were to move the lock rearward of the bikes center stand, then all the struts would be under a compressive force.

Put a bolt near the end of a piece of wood, pull on it and it is fairly easy to get the woods grain to split- especially with pine. Trying to push (compressive load) the bolt down through the middle of the board requires considerably more force.

That's why wood makes good post, but not good when used like a chain.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 09-17-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Cool idea chuck. I admire people who use ingenuity and "found materials" to get stuff done. Many people in this world wait until all the lights are green before they leave the house and never get anything done.

Regarding all the others concerns over possible sideways or diagonal twisting and collapsing. I am sure you will keep an eye on if it and if there is ever any doubt about it getting sloppy you could easily make two triangle pieces that can be attached and flipped down as a safety catch for any sideways movement... or simply jam a board with a rubber foot on each side.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
            Many people in this world wait until all the lights are green before they leave the house and never get anything done.
            Or you can be like my father who built a lot of things in a hurry, very few of which are still in one piece.

I always got a kick out of it when he once told told me " you never get anything done". Funny, all my project's are still standing... His... not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              Or you can be like my father who built a lot of things in a hurry, very few of which are still in one piece.

I always got a kick out of it when he once told told me " you never get anything done". Funny, all my project's are still standing... His... not so much.
              Failure can also be a learning process; for some not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                That depends on the species of wood, it's moisture content, the woods dimensions and the direction the force is applied in relationship to the grain.
                I think that was my point not easy to predict and very dependent on the actual sticks of wood he has in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                  Cool idea chuck. I admire people who use ingenuity and "found materials" to get stuff done. Many people in this world wait until all the lights are green before they leave the house and never get anything done.

Regarding all the others concerns over possible sideways or diagonal twisting and collapsing. I am sure you will keep an eye on if it and if there is ever any doubt about it getting sloppy you could easily make two triangle pieces that can be attached and flipped down as a safety catch for any sideways movement... or simply jam a board with a rubber foot on each side.
                  +1 chuck's sure works better than the one I ran out and tried to cobble together yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    +1 chuck's sure works better than the one I ran out and tried to cobble together yesterday!
                    Mine's more of a fixed version. . Soon to be rectified because Chuck posted his lift table version.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                    Last edited by rustybronco; 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Don't make it anything like mine Dale. Damned thing will collapse if you set a cup of coffee on it the wrong way!!!!!
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sorry Chuck, but it's going to look very similar to the one you just made...

Comment

The table looks good to me. I had one I put together with some scrap shelves I got from work, but I never felt confident lifting the table with the bike on it. I ended up making a gardening bench for my wife out of it. I get the possible issues with the 2x4 struts possibly splitting, but that would be easily managed by getting a few feet of slotted angle. Put two pieces about 6" long on the narrow sides of the 2x4, straddling the pivot points. Drill through the 2x4 and use a couple of carriage bolts on either side of the pivot points to prevent splitting. Four feet of slotted angle and eight carriage bolts would eliminate that potential problem.
                          JP
                          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                          1992 Concours
                          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                          2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
                            The table looks good to me. I had one I put together with some scrap shelves I got from work, but I never felt confident lifting the table with the bike on it. I ended up making a gardening bench for my wife out of it. I get the possible issues with the 2x4 struts possibly splitting, but that would be easily managed by getting a few feet of slotted angle. Put two pieces about 6" long on the narrow sides of the 2x4, straddling the pivot points. Drill through the 2x4 and use a couple of carriage bolts on either side of the pivot points to prevent splitting. Four feet of slotted angle and eight carriage bolts would eliminate that potential problem.
                            Yes the biggest issue is conceptual

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
                              ... but I never felt confident lifting the table with the bike on it.....
                              Aye! There's the rub!
                              I note that chuck "lashed" his bike to the bench
                              The width of the bench is important for this reason, and ,the ability to deploy the kickstand before setting on the Centrestand. (two mistakes I ran straight into, trying for a narrower, "beam-only",lifting-ramp idea...)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                                Aye! There's the rub!
                                I note that chuck "lashed" his bike to the bench
                                The width of the bench is important for this reason, and ,the ability to deploy the kickstand before setting on the Centrestand. (two mistakes I ran straight into, trying for a narrower, "beam-only",lifting-ramp idea...)
                                What is your recommended platform dimension?

Chuck what are yours? How far does your extension stick out?

Comment

Working...
                                X