Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing left handlebar switch with Honda type.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing left handlebar switch with Honda type.

My button dropped off my left handlebar switch and I replaced it with a Honda type.
    I have put together a guide which may help others:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/malur2z9zsr2m49/Replacing_GS1000_1980_left_handlebar_switch.pdf

Any suggestions or corrections are welcome!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2013, 04:45 PM.

Sounds like it might be a good write-up, but for some reason, I can not access Media Fire.

Can't even blame a nanny-firewall at work, I am at home.

EDIT: Never mind, it finally came through.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got a picture of how it looks on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
        Got a picture of how it looks on the bike?
        Here it is:

Comment

looks good!

Comment

Looks good. How easy is it to adapt parts like these from other manufacturers to our bikes? They don't have to be exact do they as long as you match up the functions with the wiring, right?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Looks good. How easy is it to adapt parts like these from other manufacturers to our bikes? They don't have to be exact do they as long as you match up the functions with the wiring, right?
              Its not too difficult at all and the test is usually to map out the functions with wire colours on the old switch first and then the donor switch and compare them.
              The issue sometimes is that the actual way the function is switched inside the switch may not be compatible, so you need to rewire inside the switch as well. Which means it needs to be opened to do that. I prefer to keep to the original colours as well, as it helps when fault finding later on.

If the old switch has a special custom feature such as the cancelling function then you would be unlikely to replicate it on a new switch from another type of bike, but can be wired to switch the flashers in the standard way.

I have done quite a few different types for various people over time and did not have any issues that could not be overcome in some way or another

Comment

I rewired a 650G LH control for my GS1000G. I did not like the multifunction switch, wanted a headlight off button, and that horn button is a known problem. I also didn't like the auto cancelling turn signals.
                It wasn't too hard to do, I'll have to write something up. I know have the same controls on both bikes. I can feel the controls better through gloves on the 650G controls.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                  I rewired a 650G LH control for my GS1000G. I did not like the multifunction switch, wanted a headlight off button, and that horn button is a known problem. I also didn't like the auto cancelling turn signals.
                  It wasn't too hard to do, I'll have to write something up. I know have the same controls on both bikes. I can feel the controls better through gloves on the 650G controls.
                  I was wondering if it was just me, but I find manually cancelling by pushing the button in is more error free than sliding the button back to center. The click under your thumb also signals back that it has been reset.

It seems as if most types of bikes with a round horn button tends to hang up if pressed at a different angle, meaning the contacts need cleaning and thereafter they work OK for a while. The rocker type is also easier with gloves on.

You should post a write up if you have the time.

Comment

I also like the high beam switch being up and down with turn signals left to right, more intuitive that way. Plus they don't break and are easy to disassemble and clean. One needs an engineering plan to work on the multifunction version. Somewhere in the world are millions of lost springs in a pile.

The main thing was the rewiring of the switch. The controller module is removed and sold on ebay. Along with the multifunction switch, I cleared almost 100 dollars on the two parts. I got a really nice gs650G switch for about 40 dollars.

I'll dig up my notes and do a wiring diagram. the best part is the connectors are the same, although the wires may be a little short. I added a few inches to mine.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Ive been watching this one. Pretty sure its the same connections or atleast cheap enough to chop up and try http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=190816766741

My horn button is kind of touchy.. Works at certain points and the signal switch is a little hit and miss.. Gotta be firm to make it work. I was going to try something new sometime soon
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 08rangerdan View Post
                        Ive been watching this one. Pretty sure its the same connections or atleast cheap enough to chop up and try http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=190816766741

My horn button is kind of touchy.. Works at certain points and the signal switch is a little hit and miss.. Gotta be firm to make it work. I was going to try something new sometime soon
                        The link does not go to the item?

Comment

Weird it does for me but you can google the number at the end of the link. May be a cheap multifuncton unit but if it works, it May make a cheap repair.

Comment

Originally posted by 08rangerdan View Post
                            Weird it does for me but you can google the number at the end of the link. May be a cheap multifuncton unit but if it works, it May make a cheap repair.
                            Sorry, I cannot log in or see the Canada ebay it seems. There are many cheap China types for scooters that are exact copies of the Honda type externally and internally.

Comment

Working...
                            X