Make it yourself folding motorbike stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make it yourself folding motorbike stand

I thought that some of us could use this. Doesn't look like it would cost much to make and could take up little space.
    Found this on-line so feel free to critique/bash the designer.

Collapsible Motorcycle Workstand: The workstand is constructed from two full 4'x8' sheets of plywood. To build the workstand you will need: Two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood. One lb box of 1 1/4 inch drywall screws per bench being built One small bottle of woodglue. …

He doesn't give much kerf on those sheet plans, but I guess if you undersize everything by half a blade thickness it's all the same in the end.

But knowing that, I just might have to try this one out. I like the folding side extensions to use (or not) as workspace, but I think I'll put some sort of no-slip on the ramp and main surface just to be safe.

Comment

You'll want a helper to use that ramp... and nonskid ("duroid"roof shingles nailed on?) is a good idea. Plywood is slippery, even with the brake on.

Oh, and a great big block to stop her rolling off the end.

Comment

Stick down anti slip strips like on stairs would be a better choice than a shingle I would think. Dont even "non skid" shingles shed the gravel like a regular one???
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Skateboard grip tape!

Comment

Am I the only one who finds the use of the term "collapsible" in reference to a stand to hold a 400+lbs motorcycle a little foreboding
            I hate non skid shingles. Sand in paint, "no slip" in paint or expanded metal on the ramp.

Comment

Good one on the skateboard grip tape Crank. I like that.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wont ure feet and shins cop a hiding. And having some woodwork jutting out exactly where u want to get close/work on a bike is silly

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                  Wont ure feet and shins cop a hiding.
                  What?

Gotta love it... Brits/Aussies/Yanks - all separated by a common language!

Comment

well, I wouldn't use that ramp as-is anyways so non-skid is a moot issue.(though I agree, sand-in-paint is a better idea on this ramp)
                    personally,I have a huge wide, long ramp with cleats screwed down each side that I can use singlehanded for a pickup or trailer too...so I can walk a bike up and down myself.
                    Wont ure feet and shins cop a hiding. And having some woodwork jutting out exactly where u want to get close/work on a bike is silly

But having the side platform that is removeable/foldable is maybe a plus..on bikes that want to use their centrestand,you need to get up onto the platform to deploy it.(and that needs a longer platform as the bike rolls back on it...)
                    Still, your toes are going to hit that siding and keep your heels 12 inches away and that's not likeable. I'd prefer posts or legs.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Good one on the skateboard grip tape Crank. I like that.
                      That's what I have on my ramp.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                      X