When is a tank too far gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is a tank too far gone?

I has so much luck in repairing pin holes in the 821100e tank that I broke out the 78skunk tank to try my hand at it.

It has MANY (at least 20) pinholes that I plugged as well as several that were much larger. I was able to seal all of them down to just a seepage level until I got to the one in the picture.

I had planned on stopping the rust and double or triple lining with Caswells, but not sure now.

I have a mig welder but I am pretty sure it would just burn through this thin stuff. Is there anything I can do on my own to repair this tank?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
    [ATTACH]22255[/ATTACH]

I has so much luck in repairing pin holes in the 821100e tank that I broke out the 78skunk tank to try my hand at it.

It has MANY (at least 20) pinholes that I plugged as well as several that were much larger. I was able to seal all of them down to just a seepage level until I got to the one in the picture.

I had planned on stopping the rust and double or triple lining with Caswells, but not sure now.

I have a mig welder but I am pretty sure it would just burn through this thin stuff. Is there anything I can do on my own to repair this tank?
    If you are skilled with the welder, cut that thin area out and weld in a patch.

If not so skilled, get someone who is to do it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I was gonna say the same thing. Its on the bottom so just cut it out and braze a patch over it and leak test it.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Not to redirect the question, but I did think of a way to procure skunk tanks cheaply...well sort of.

I could make a rubber mold of the indent, then use it as a form for bondo-ing in an indent on the much easier to find 79+ tanks.
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          I was gonna say the same thing. Its on the bottom so just cut it out and braze a patch over it and leak test it.
          Any info on how to braze? Is it something I can purchase cheaply?

I actually have another loaner tank that I could cut the base off of to use.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
            Any info on how to braze? Is it something I can purchase cheaply?

I actually have another loaner tank that I could cut the base off of to use.
            If you don't know, you need someone better at it.

Not a good first timer's project. Someone like Chuck could do it a lot better.

Comment

Brazing is done with Oxy / Acetelyn torches and that gold brazing filler rod. You got a set right? Got any buddies that can modulate then flame low enough to not just melt the area worse and do it for you??
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The problem with brazing patches into a tank is the flux left on the inside.
                You can never remove all of it, and as it's slighly acidic it's a great spot for more rust to start.

far better to fusion weld - either oxy acetylene or a MIG turned well down.

Comment

You can braze with uncoated rod.

Comment

I have an acetylene torch but haven't tried brazing. maybe my neighbor knows how to do it. Just hate for a good skunk tank to go to the scrap heap.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Smallest tip you have and practice on some scrap. Thin stuff like duct work ( but without the galvanizing ) is a good place to start. Or you can burn off the galvanize and use the raw metal then. Wire wheel the soot off it and start playing.

Comment

Smallest tip you have and practice on some scrap. Thin stuff like duct work ( but without the galvanizing ) is a good place to start. Or you can burn off the galvanize and use the raw metal then. Wire wheel the soot off it and start playing.
                        L tanks are great to practice on.

Comment

I guess I will have to do some playing with it. I will get it figured out one way or another.

I thought I had a bike bought that had a skunk tank, I(t was a 79 but had the indented tank), but he just called me back and said it sold already dang!

I have a line on another skunk tank as well so my fingers are crossed.
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Brazing is done with Oxy / Acetelyn torches and that gold brazing filler rod. You got a set right? Got any buddies that can modulate then flame low enough to not just melt the area worse and do it for you??
                            I think brazing is going the same way as lead body work its becoming a lost art

Comment

How about doing Oakum and lead sealing on cast iron sewer pipes?? Yup Ive done lots of that too.

Comment

Working...
                              X