Low Cost Paint Booth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Cost Paint Booth

I usually paint in my garage and naturally get some dust and debris in my finishes which creates more work in the cut and polish stages. I saw online that a paint booth can be built out of pvc pipe. The article I followed was entitled "how to build a paint booth for under $50". I found that the materials were $80 (not including fan). I had a blower I had bought from Horrible Freight a few years ago, but a cheap box fan can be used instead.

It works well. The exhaust system moves air well. I could see the airborne paint being sucked out as I sprayed. I wish I had built this a few years ago. If I had, everything in my garage would not have layers of overspray. The pvc frame can easily be disassembled for storage. And the plastic drop cloth is cheap enought to replace whenever I set it up. The center support pole allows heavy(ish) items to be hung. I can set it up in my garage, driveway, or back yard. I would like to figure out a better "door". I cut a verticle slit, then taped myself inside (and brought enough paint inside with me). But maybe there is a better way. I made mine 7' X 6' but the original article was for a 5' X 8'. Here is a link to the article I followed:

http://caferacersunited.com/how-to-b...-small-budget/

Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

This is really awesome. I'll bookmark this for when I paint my tank (which I plan to maybe after the summer is over)

Comment

Good idea. I wish i had that when i painted my tank as well. My entire garage is covered in red overspray lol. Is the floor and sides all the same piece of plastic? If not how do you keep the sides from blowing up?
        Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

It took three 9'X12' plastic drop cloths. I pulled them tight around the frame and taped all the seams. It needs to be air tight so that the only air entering the booth passes through the intake filter.

Comment

MAN THAT SLICK!!!! Been looking for a cheap diy booth. any thought on putting the outlet down low so the overspay gets sucked down?

how do you think it would work as a sandblast booth?

thanks
            matt

Comment

I made something out of 2x4"'s and 6 mil plastic sheet. It would last about 6-9 months in the sun outside (behind my garage). Somewhat protected but still more exposed that in the garage.

Comment

From my painting experience in professional booths, I prefer updraft booths. I suppose the direction of exhaust flow is a matter of preference. I would put it on the ceiling if it could be done simply. I'm sure I could make it work like that but the current location worked well and is easy. Just want to keep it simple. And the intake and exhaust are only taped to the plastic walls so the can be located where ever you want. I don't know how well it would work for a sand blasting booth. I have seen articles on building very simple blast cabinets. But if you want something larger this may be the way to go.

Today I disassembled it. I used pvc cement to glue some of the sections and fittings together to make for easy storage and re-assembly. I will set it up again next time I need it. Now I wish I would have built this years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  I made something out of 2x4"'s and 6 mil plastic sheet. It would last about 6-9 months in the sun outside (behind my garage). Somewhat protected but still more exposed that in the garage.
                  I'm using it for a bead breaker now.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Nice!

The good thing about taping yourself inside is you can't escape until you're done.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Fantastic, thanks. I don't have a blower though, you mentioned a box fan could be used instead. Would you just set the box fan in front of the filter to make the exhaust system work?
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Very nice set up. Got me to thinking, maybe that HF green house they sell would make a decent paint booth? Just add the filters and a fan.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

A useful thing to see, I really should do this when I repaint my "L" in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                          X