How to use z1enterprises' petcock on an 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use z1enterprises' petcock on an 850

I needed a new petcock so I began looking. The petcocks from z1enterprises.com looked like the best option. It seemed that no one, including the extremely helpful staff at Z1, could confirm that one of their 44mm spaced petcocks would work on my 850. I decided to be the guinea pig and order a petcock plus about 2 feet of fuel line.

Looking at it out of the box it looked like it would work great. I took off the 4 screws that hold the cover on over the diaphram and turned the cover 180 degrees and reattached it . The stock petcock has the vacuum hose coming from the front of the bike, and switching it 180 degrees like this meant that I could use my exact same vacuum line.

I then took off my tank, removed the old leaky petcock, and checked the fit. Here's the results:

The bolt holes were spaced correctly but it looked like the opening wasn't wide enough to accommodate the new petcock. I decided the best move was to take my tank into my work and use the machine shop.

I thought about putting the tank on the mill and cutting the hole bigger, but since simple is almost always best (and since clamping something to the mill is almost guaranteed to scratch the paint) I grabbed a round file and began enlarging the hole.

The file was nice and sharp like it had never been used, so it only took about 5 strokes to make the hole look like this:

The next task was to make it not leak fuel, so I got two o-rings that would make sure the bolt holes didn't let any fuel through.

In hind sight, I should have stuck those o-rings where the bolts contact the petcock housing.

Here's how it looks all bolted up.

You can see here that it takes up almost the exact space that the original took up.

It looks pretty nice.

As you can see there the fuel comes in the opposite side so you have to change your fuel line routing.

Just run it from the carbs, up over the airbox, and through that space right next to where the tank mounts up, then it should fit nicely into the back of your petcock. Hook up the vacuum line like you had it with the stock petcock and enjoy a new high-quality aftermarket petcock at half the price of a new OEM petcock.

If any of you want the link to the petcock I used here it is:

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ListIte...ords=KL18-4359

I used the one ending in 4359 because I figured I didn't need a huge reserve if I have a working gas gage. Both petcocks should work.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement.

It is possible to refit the brass outlet to the other side if you drill it out and seal the original hole with JB Weld. I know acuz I doed it when I put one on my 750.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
      It is possible to refit the brass outlet to the other side if you drill it out and seal the original hole with JB Weld. I know acuz I doed it when I put one on my 750.
      The JB hasn't let go sitting in the fuel?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I sealed pinhole leaks on the bottom weld of a pickup truck gas tank in 2003 using JB weld.

Still holding.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

We get mixed stories about JB Weld here. I have used it inside carbs, to fix float posts. It worked, but I didn't keep the bike very long. Others say if fails in gasoline. I wonder if it has to do with incorrect mixing or curing or something.

Comment

Orings dont go there or below the bolt heads..the gasket washers go there. they are washers with a metal outer rim and rubber in the center. When the bolts tighten the rubber makes the seal so fuel doesnt leak down the threads.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nice write up that will help a ton of people as there's been tons of threads about this exact question. That's a good idea about swapping the fuel outlet, although I would be nervous about buggering things up and ruining my brand new petcock.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Nnnnnnope.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  That's a good idea about swapping the fuel outlet, although I would be nervous about buggering things up and ruining my brand new petcock.
                  I was kinda worried as well, but really the only thing that can happen is you lose the spring that keeps the diaphragm closed when there's no vacuum. I suppose you could damage the diaphragm itself, but not without being careless.

Comment

Had to enlarge hole on my 850 for this petcock, used dremel tool and small cone shaped grinding stone, took five mins. Didn't think about switching vacuum nipple around (didn't know you could). Did you block the hole on right side after moving gas nipple with JB too? terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
                      Had to enlarge hole on my 850 for this petcock, used dremel tool and small cone shaped grinding stone, took five mins. Didn't think about switching vacuum nipple around (didn't know you could). Did you block the hole on right side after moving gas nipple with JB too? terrylee
                      When I got mine I noticed that the body is actually modular, there's a blank on each side and at the factory they must drill out one side or the other for the fitting. I simply drilled out the blank on the aft side, cajoled the fitting out of its home and inserted it into the freshly drilled side. It's a tapered fit and stays in place by friction - absotootly no leaks. Lastly I mixed some JB Weld and filled the original hole and let it sit over night. I was unsure how it would hold up to gasoline, so it was a $40 experiment, but the epoxy holds firm 3 years later.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Orings dont go there or below the bolt heads..the gasket washers go there. they are washers with a metal outer rim and rubber in the center. When the bolts tighten the rubber makes the seal so fuel doesnt leak down the threads.
                        ive been using 6mm copper washers on the fuel tap bolts they seem to do the job ok

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
                          ive been using 6mm copper washers on the fuel tap bolts they seem to do the job ok
                          I like that better if they seal. Should last just about forever.

Comment

Use regular JB Weld, not the quick stuff, and let it cure properly overnight, and it will have no problem with the gasoline.

Comment

Working...
                            X