Half-assed clutch cable repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half-assed clutch cable repair

I've done more than my fair share of half-assed repairs, but this one actually worked pretty well. I was surprised at least, figured I should share with the class. I wasn't really planning on documenting it until I realized it might actually work; so pictures are what they are. Here's my story:

Just about done with work I was headed back to the workshop to drop off my tools and call it a day. Just as I got out of the downtown area I felt a little pop on my clutch cable. Managed to drive it to the shop with no clutch as it was mostly back roads, but to get home I'd have to hit some major intersections that I really wanted a clutch to get through. Girlfriend couldn't give me a ride for 2 hours so I was stuck. Being surrounded by every tool that I own I did what any reasonable man would do and said "I can fix this. How hard could it be?" Best case scenario I got to ride my bike, worst case scenario I killed 2 hours futzing around with tools. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. It broke right near the connector thing that goes into the clutch lever, had a few strands left but they weren't enough to engage the clutch.

First attempt:

Copper was just there to keep the strands in tight, the plan was to solder it back together. It went poorly, I ended up melting the connector. But this inspired me. If a blowtorch can melt the connector, then surely it could melt a new one on. Ended up just cutting the old end off so all the strands were the same length.

Round 2:

This is the jig I made, I found a drill bit about the size of the clutch lever thing and drilled into the top. I drilled with one the size of the cable into it from the other side. I packed it full of plumbing flux and melted solder into it until it spilled out the cable hole. I then jammed the cable in and held the torch on the top until it looked like it was flowing into the cable. Cable is globbered with flux too, did my best to clean off the old cable lube with some random solvent **** I had laying around. I held it there till it seemed reasonably cool. Solder was 50/50 lead and something else, couldn't really read the label.

Cooling:

Cut away the wood with my pocket knife to get it out. Had to clean it up a bit with a file but for the most part it fit snug.

Final product:

Had zero slack left in my cable adjustments, had to tug pretty hard just to get it in. However I didn't have any clutch slip on the way home even running WOT up a steep hill. Might ride on it for a bit and just keep the new cable in my bag to see how it holds up. But there you have it, if you happen to breakdown with all your plumbing supplies, a drill and some scrap wood you can make a new cable end.

That's pretty resourceful. Good job

Comment

Place called Flanders sells all sizes of cable ends that you put on and then fill the centers with solder.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-27-2014, 07:33 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah this is just what I had on hand. Used to have some ends that you put on with a set screw but I couldn't find em.

Comment

Originally posted by ezmack View Post
          Yeah this is just what I had on hand. Used to have some ends that you put on with a set screw but I couldn't find em.
          I had the set screw type on my throttle cable for over a year until I finally had one made. Not sure I'd trust one on a clutch cable.

Comment

Nice hack. I remember seeing a post some time ago where someone took the little metal cylinder from a pencil and filled it with lead (or solder?) to make a cable end. It didn't last long because the cable end has to rotate inside the clutch lever. If it doesn't, you get a(nother) broken cable. The OEM cables have a plastic or teflon sleeve to help with this, if I recall.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I totally get that..do with whats in arms reach in a pinch. was just adding the link for those that may be interested. get a good size coil of 1.5MM Stainless down rigger wire and a bunch of ends and you can make new cables and use the old sheathing over and over again.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

nice fix. better than walking!
                1982 GS1100G

....I've learned alot by making stupid mistakes..

Comment

I once had to ziptie my wife's clutch handle in place when she laid it down and broke it. Didn't work perfect, wasn't gonna get it in neutral, but it did the trick for the 60+ mile ride home. Had to stop twice to put new zipties on it...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Great job! I'd bet that this is exactly what the mechanic in the backwoods of Morocco would do if you brought your bike in with a broken clutch cable.
                    Mark Fisher
                    sigpic
                    ..............................27 years

Comment

My brother had a Datsun 200SX...clutch was cable activated.

Small Vise Grip pliers and it was repaired until the new cable came in.

My mistake: it was the throttle. Same difference.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
                        Great job! I'd bet that this is exactly what the mechanic in the backwoods of Morocco would do if you brought your bike in with a broken clutch cable.
                        He'd also take a look at the bent handlebars, broken luggage mounts, twisted fairing frame and have his sons sort it out overnight for a handful of dinars.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The use Dirhams in Morocco.

But yeah, they'd probably take whatever currency you offered.

Comment

Well done on the get you home bodge, you could thread your new spare clutch cable up alongside the old one so that if/when it lets go you only have to connect the ends.
                            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                            X