Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to rinse out the engine!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best way to rinse out the engine!?

I'm about to repair my stripped oil plug threads in the crankcase of my '79 GS425. The first time I've had a pro work on my bike was an oil change last month while on a weeklong ride, and the mechanic over-tourqed the pulg... sigh.

Anyway... I've got a Heli-Coil fix-it kit while I'll seal with some silicone gasket stuff that I used when sealing my crankcase together with. I should be able to tap out the new threads just fine, and was planning on using some Moly-grease to try to keep the aluminum shaving from getting into the crankcase (there is no oil pan on my bike... just the bottom of the crankcase) while tapping the larger hole with the new threads.

The question I have is... what would be something that I could dump into the engine and let it flow out the oil drain to try to flush out any aluminum shaving so I don't end up having any bits of metal swimming around inside of my engine? Something that would have to be okay on the wet clutch without mucking up the clutch plates. My brother was suggesting kerosine or diesel, but prefaced that opinion with "This is just a guess..."

I've got a new filter in the engine right now (I was changing the oil after all when this problem became apparent).

As always, thanks for the input... everyone on this site rocks at life!

Varsol, mineral spirits, kerosene.
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

As in... all three mixed? Or pick one?

Comment

pick one............
        Baby tears work but take forever.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          pick one............
          Baby tears work but take forever.
          HaHa! Apparently you haven't seen me around kids!

Comment

If any swarf gets away from the hole I don't think you could rely on a flush to get it out, There is probably a layer of sludge in there and the flow rate on drain will be very slow near the surface.I wouldn't flush with anything other than motor oil.
            I think the grease plug is a good way to go especially if you can fashion a tool that will go in there and sweep the grease out. Pipe cleaner with a 90 degree band and a curved sweep head for example. I would load up the drill flutes and the tap with LM grease, sweep the floor inside afterwards and do a quick oil change after that.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X