Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped screw on engine case cover.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have used impact driver maybe once or twice. It just has not been necessary if I use a JIS bit in socket adapter. Simple set the bit into the head of the screw and tap it he with a small hammer. You can almost hear when it is fully seated as it is like banging on the side of the engine. This also displaces any grit and probably crushes and small grit and. If someone had already bunged them up it finds the bottom of the recess. Now simply put the socket wrench on and twist it out (using plenty of pressure) . Works 90-95 % of the time just using one hand. If you use two hands you get even more pressure.
    Last edited by posplayr; 07-01-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Invest in a set of JIS screw drivers...and/or JIS bits (as posplayr mentioned). Your life will change and butterflies, rainbows and calliope music will follow you wherever you go. Seriously get some! They are not expensive.
      1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
      sigpic
      My GS550 Build

Comment

Most definitely use antisieze with stainless bolts

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          What ever you do, DON'T use an easy-out. If it breaks you'll be SOL.
          I did that on a Yamaha XS650 I used to own......and you are exactly right.
          1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Tapping the bit in with a hammer also breaks the threads loose the same way an impact driver works with less fuss. I do it every time now. doesn't take much just tap the bit with a small hammer a bunch of times and out it comes no drama.
            I have taken 30 year old carbs apart and covers off with no fighting or stripping screws at all doing it this way.

edit: this also works on lock-tited screws
            also I use JIS bits, Philips bits want to ride out all the time.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon View Post
              Tapping the bit in with a hammer also breaks the threads loose the same way an impact driver works with less fuss. I do it every time now. doesn't take much just tap the bit with a small hammer a bunch of times and out it comes no drama.
              I have taken 30 year old carbs apart and covers off with no fighting or stripping screws at all doing it this way.

edit: this also works on lock-tited screws
              also I use JIS bits, Philips bits want to ride out all the time.
              I was just thinking how easy tapping is if you are talking about a case bolt. Tap tap till it bottoms and the screw will come right out no need for a impact driver. Then I started to think about carbs znd zn impact driver;I cringed.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I was just thinking how easy tapping is if you are talking about a case bolt. Tap tap till it bottoms and the screw will come right out no need for a impact driver. Then I started to think about carbs znd zn impact driver;I cringed.
                exactly :S .....but a JIS bit and a tiny little ball peen hammer = zero drama

its self limiting too because if you try and go mental with the hammer you're gonna smash your fingers while holding that little JIS bit
                Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon View Post
                  exactly :S .....but a JIS bit and a tiny little ball peen hammer = zero drama

its self limiting too because if you try and go mental with the hammer you're gonna smash your fingers while holding that little JIS bit
                  I use a rachet with JIS sockets. I can put a 6" extension on it and give it a little tap with a cute little hammer I have and the ratchet gives way more torque and pressure than a screwdriver.

Comment

My favorite tools for old Japanese bikes.... JIS screwdrivers/bits and my little brass mallet......
                    1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                    sigpic
                    My GS550 Build

Comment

Working...
                    X